iMac resale value?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by virginblue4, Dec 21, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hi guys,

Just wondering roughly what the resale value of the following item would be in GBP.

Late 2012 iMac
    3.4Ghz i7
    1TB Fusion
    GTX 680MX 2GB VRAM
    24GB RAM
    AppleCare until 2016.

Also, would the AppleCare be transferable to a new owner?

Many thanks :)

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i would say £1000-£1200

yes

3. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Seriously? It has lost 50%+ of its value in 1 year? I thought they were meant to hold their value....

I see older macs with lesser specs and without AppleCare going for more than the amount you just estimated.

4. 2trout macrumors member

do a search on the net, see what similar models sell for, that'll be your best guide!

5. tears2040 macrumors 6502

Refurbished store sells for $1999

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0MS5LL/A/refurbished-imac-34ghz-quad-core-intel-core-i7

So I would say about $1600-1900 on the used market.

A new iMac has been introduced and that's what brought the price down. I bought that same 2012 iMac in April and in September (5 months later) and the newer versions came out. I paid about $2500 for mine as well, but hey what can I say I needed a new computer at the time and I had the money.......

I still think you can get about $1800 USD for it and while not great it's still pretty good for how economics are in the world right now. Try selling a PC you bought at that price and you'd be lucky to get $1k for it.

6. propower macrumors 6502a

I would say most macs here in the US loose at least 30% if not 40% of value in the first year. From then on it slows down. You SEE people trying to get much more on Craigslist (and maybe they do every once in a while) but if you really want to sell one in a few weeks -- 30 to 40%. If have done this loop a few times.

7. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Think of it as a new car. Buy a car brand new in the UK and it loses a hefty chunk of its value the minute you drive it out of the showroom. You Mac is no different. However, if you keep it longer the rate of deprecation will slow. At least it has a value. A Windows PC will haemorrhage value with the parts often being worth more that the whole unit.