iMac restarting on it's own

Discussion in 'iMac' started by devincco, Jan 7, 2014.

1. devincco macrumors member

devincco

Hi everyone

I have a user that has one of the new 2013 27" iMac's with a 1TB fusion drive, 32GB of RAM. The machine is restarting on it's own at least once a day, sometimes twice a day. He's not doing anything specific to cause this to happen. It just happens at random times when surfing, composing an email, editing images in Adobe PhotoShop, etc. All software is up to date and he is running 10.9.1. My first hunch was RAM since the 32GB of RAM is 3rd party from Corsair. I have removed that and dropped him back down to the stock 8GB set and it continues to happen. I have called Apple Care and they walked me though booting into Safe Mode, resetting PRAM but that was about it. They said if it continues the next step would be to wipe and reload the OS and apps. I was wondering if there were any kind of log files that I can go look at and where they are located at and try to avoid wiping and reloading. Sorry if this is a noob question, i'm just starting to support Macs in our environment. Thanks in advance!!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there's a system console log that shows what crashed. Open console then look at system log