Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elit173

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2021
Anyone ever seen anything like this? These boxes pop up on the screen and the computer freezes. Tapping keyboard can bring things back to "normal" but it comes back randomly. I thought it might be related to a specific piece of software (Capture One) but seems to happen randomly when other software is running as well.

IMG_4605.jpeg

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I see the same occasionally (maybe about once a week) on my 2019 27" 9900K with 580X(8GB). They flicker about for a few seconds and then, if I do something, they disappear. No obvious correlation with what I am doing. Suspect the graphics driver (maybe when the graphics memory is full), but I have no evidence for that. The computer doesn't freeze.

Next time it happens, I will be look a bit harder for a cause. iStat Menus will help with that, then console log.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Anyone ever seen anything like this? These boxes pop up on the screen and the computer freezes. Tapping keyboard can bring things back to "normal" but it comes back randomly. I thought it might be related to a specific piece of software (Capture One) but seems to happen randomly when other software is running as well.

A certain app was triggering all other apps running at once, consuming all the resources and freeze the computer.
You can open Activities monitor to check CPU, RAM usage after the freeze.

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I see the same occasionally (maybe about once a week) on my 2019 27" 9900K with 580X(8GB). They flicker about for a few seconds and then, if I do something, they disappear. No obvious correlation with what I am doing. Suspect the graphics driver (maybe when the graphics memory is full), but I have no evidence for that. The computer doesn't freeze.

Next time it happens, I will be look a bit harder for a cause. iStat Menus will help with that, then console log.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Just posted about it:

It did start like what you experience: just an occasional occurrence for a few seconds. But recently it became a real constant problem that hinders my work seriously.

I'm taking my Mac for diagnostics soon, but it's most likely a hardware problem. So IF you machine is still under warranty/Apple Care etc. I recommend to nip it in the bud ASAP before it's too late.

Otherwise, you may want to just sell it before this issue overtakes your machine completely (if you can do it guilt-free...)

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Does it still happen with macOS 11.5? The update does have some unknown changes (new version numbers) for AMD Radeon kexts.

Which graphics option in your 2017 27"?

I'm still on 11.4. I'll keep updated on diagnostic results and if i update to 11.5.

Radeon Pro 575 4 GB

zevrix

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Update:

I brought my iMac to the dealer I bought it from (which is also a full service facility).

I left it there for a weekend to run tests, and they gave me a loaner - a similar iMac 2017.

Guess what: after working on their loaner for couple of days I started experiencing exactly the same display issues. Not so frequent - but the same problem is definitely there.

Also, they just called me to say they could not find any defects with my iMac whatsoever.

Hmmm.

Additional info:

I work off external hard drives. External SSD drive for macOS/apps, and two drives with work projects. Have been working like this for years.

The service guy just told me that running the OS from external hard drive can potentially be an issue and that "Apple doesn't recommend this" - but I think I can discard this opinion. It's pretty common to run macOS off external drives and there's tons of info on this.

So I'm not sure yet what to make out of all this.

They also offered to test my external drives, which I'll do maybe tomorrow.

While I don't believe that working off external drive is an issue, I still wonder if both people on this thread who have the display problem are working off external drives?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
The fact that all the boxes have rounded corners does make it look like more of a software issue, vs. the typical kind of display corruption you see from a broken GPU.

I doubt it's related to the hard drive being external. More like the macOS install is hosed somehow and would benefit from a clean install.

Reactions: Ledgem and gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
The fact that all the boxes have rounded corners does make it look like more of a software issue, vs. the typical kind of display corruption you see from a broken GPU.
I should have spotted that. Just helps to confirm that this is, most likely, a display driver problem.
I doubt it's related to the hard drive being external.
My iMac boots from internal, so I am sure that blaming it on external booting is a red herring.

I have not seen it on mine since updating to 11.5. But my experience was very occasional, so need at least another week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.