iMac Retina 5K General Performance

olliedoogin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Hi. Can somebody who has the new iMac please post their specs and general performance impressions here. Its impossible to find anything on the net at the moment.

Last edited:

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
Hands on reviews should start coming in this week.
I am sooooooooo waiting!

olliedoogin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I've heard from a couple of website reviewers that the performance of the base iMac retina is really good despite talk of the graphics card being below par.

HennersPD

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
I've heard from a couple of website reviewers that the performance of the base iMac retina is really good despite talk of the graphics card being below par.
That's the one I ordered as I'm a university student doing a Chemistry degree! Would you recommend any 3rd party ram to upgrade it? And any tips to prolong life my the iMac - need it to last at least 4 years

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
If the base graphics can run the display and edit video without lag, which it can, then it definitely isn't below par. Don't fall for the hysteria of people freaking out over a graphics card they haven't used.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
That's the one I ordered as I'm a university student doing a Chemistry degree! Would you recommend any 3rd party ram to upgrade it? And any tips to prolong life my the iMac - need it to last at least 4 years
Crucial RAM. And your iMac will be alive and well for well beyond 4 years, especially if you have over 8 GB RAM. 16 should be enough for the foreseeable future with these machines.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LTBITY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HennersPD

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Ah ok thanks. Which configuration for the retina iMac have you ordered? When's yours being delivered? Are you in Uk or elsewhere?
3.5GHz QC i5 Turboboost 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB (I bought an extra 8GB RAM from Crucial through that link I sent)
3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5

The estimate says it should arrive in by Friday, which is pretty cool because it was moved up from Monday. I'm in the US.

HennersPD

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2014
3.5GHz QC i5 Turboboost 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB (I bought an extra 8GB RAM from Crucial through that link I sent)
3TB Fusion Dr (3TB+128GBFlash)
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2GB GDDR5

The estimate says it should arrive in by Friday, which is pretty cool because it was moved up from Monday. I'm in the US.
Ah OK same as me apart from storage :) I ordered mine on friday, shipping 3-5 business days, delivery between 23rd-27th October, just wondered if anyone in UK, knows what time of day it might ship???