iMac Retina 5k Tilt Parameters?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JustInCar1, Nov 7, 2014.

1. JustInCar1 macrumors newbie

I ordered a VESA mount iMac Retina 5k and got it set up last night. Before mounting it to my arm I noticed a sticker on the VESA mount that reads

"Position the iMac with the display tilted at no more than a 5º downward angle or a 25º upward angle."

Any ideas on why this restriction would be in place? I probably won't be tilting it outside of that range, I'm more curious than anything especially since after an initial google search I didn't turn up any results.

My guesses are as follows: A. Ventilation: the fan is behind the VESA mount, perhaps the tilt would prevent proper ventilation? B. If it had a spinning hard drive (which mine doesn't) maybe it could cause issues over the long run? C. Something to do with the screen itself? I expected to see something on this in my google search, not finding anything makes me think it might be unique to the iMac retina. Then again not that many people probably by the iMac with the mount, so maybe it's not usually on there.

Anyway, I don't really know the reasoning behind it. I'd ask my local Apple store, but they haven't always been particularly knowledgable (e.g. the gentleman I spoke to didn't know what a VESA mount was). Any ideas?

2. jennyp macrumors 6502

I'm setting mine up and having just seen this advice on the sticker I'm also curious as to why it says that. There's no indication given as to what dangers (if any) there might be if you exceed those angles. I can't see that it can have anything to do with ventilation or the disk (mine is all SSD). Is it all ergonomic advice? Or what? I'd also be interested to know any theories as to why this should be.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They. Are just covering their arse, that is what they have tested as safe and if you use it outside those parameters you do so at your own risk simple as that. It'll probably make no difference whatsoever but they have covered themselves.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same reason you see a gazillion stickers on ladders now. Lawyers told them to put that to avoid lawsuits down the road.