Imac Retina Decision

Discussion in 'iMac' started by miked2023, Apr 23, 2015.

  1. miked2023 macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2015
    Hey there! Longtime lurker here looking to make a big purchase and could use some advice!

    I've been agonizing over the Imac Retina (i7, 3tb fusion, 16gb, 295) for the last week and can't decide! A couple of things are hanging me up that hopefully some of you can help me with!

    1. The possibility of a new version in June. I know it's remote and if anything they'll update the non retinas but I've heard about cooling issues and people are also unhappy with the graphics card heat and performance. Also the infamous screen retention that's been hotly debated. Are any of these issues likely addressed in June? I doubt it but would love to hear what you think! Also, how serious are these issues, really? I know it depends on what you use the machine for....

    2. I'm unclear if I can keep the existing 16gb Ram and add to it make 32gbs or if I have to replace all of it and put in 4 new sticks. I found a great deal on the 16gb version so if I can add 16 more gigs this makes sense to me. Otherwise, I might go with the 8gb and replace all but the deal is not as good on that model.

    3. How often are these 'sales' on various sites? I'm sure we're not supposed to talk about specific deals/prices on here but in general, are they often? Part of the reason I'm raring to go is because the deal is very good (between 3-400 dollars in savings). But if they're all the time then I could easily take a wait and see approach.

    For the record, I don't NEED the machine but I would really love to upgrade my 2008 MacBook Pro. I do hobbyist photo work and can hardly open Aperture anymore. I also do video editing professionally and I would like to have that option at home.

    Thanks in advance!!!
  2. BlueFire2009 macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2015
    Hey there, it's definitely a great pick but honestly, I have the non-retina iMac with a 3TB fusion drive (which is almost full btw) at work and it's really slow at times when launching applications and stuff (in comparison to my rMBP), I'd go for a 500mb SSD instead and get an external hard drive if you need more storage. And then again, I'd wait for the next gen retina iMac cause I've heard it CAN struggle pushing all those pixels around smoothly. ;) and welcome to the forums, I'm new here as well haha
  3. owleyes macrumors newbie

    Apr 7, 2015
    I don't know if the 16G model comes with two or four modules, but I got mine with 8GB and upped it to 24, then 32 (just because). It's been amazing in every way, even when I only had the 8 gigs of ram. No issues with screen burn or video ram or heat. The only time i've heard the fan was when I was playing Storm Raiders.

    I'd be very surprised if they're going to update the 27" iMac before next fall. The smaller ones would likely get the 5k screen next.
  4. kepler20b macrumors 6502

    Oct 18, 2014
    I think june is looking more and more like a longshot.

    no intel upgrade news. makes no sense for them to release a refresh without the cpus.

    you're looking at fall or q1 '16 imo.
  5. AlexJoda macrumors 6502


    Apr 8, 2015
    In Germany all the iMacs are delivered immediately and are on stock again after last weeks delay for some days. So this argument is not there any more...
  6. FelicityW macrumors regular

    Apr 4, 2011
    While I have zero credible information, I was standing in an Apple Store yesterday, which had the 21" iMac and the 27" riMac side by side, and it hit me: I want 24". I had a 24" Cinema Display which was great, but the LCD has burned out, so I am limping along with my 13" rMBP. The 27" is too big and too much money (I will max it out). I either want a standalone monitor or an iMac, and my gut says it will be out in either June or September, and yes, 24" will be a choice.

    So... If you like 27" and have the money, go for it now. You will have months of joy before anything else comes along. RAM depends on you. If you put things away before starting something else, 16GB is fine. 8GB, if you really do very little interesting on your computer (just email, photos, surfing) and don't care about resale. If you like to have lots going on, go with 32GB; personally, I can't wait until I can get 32GB. I loathe waiting on a computer.
  7. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502


    Apr 2, 2012
    Somewhere In Time
    I purchased my iMac with 16GB RAM. There are two 8GB sticks. If I wanted 32GB I'd get two additional 8GB sticks.
  8. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    I would buy the lowest memory configuration from Apple and then upgrade memory myself.

    You can get to 24GB without throwing away any chips. That's more than enough for most users.
  9. miked2023 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2015
    I was going to do that but the deal I found on the 16GB is only 30 bucks more than the 8GB. Seems like a no brainier to go with the 16 and then upgrade to 32 if necessary. THANKS!!
  10. DanTSX macrumors regular

    Oct 22, 2013
    I'm gearing up to buy a Retina iMac by the end of the summer.

    Like the rest of my prior Apple purchases, this will likely come from the Refurb store as well. The experience has been outstanding so far, and has allowed me to purchase what is likely a product with an even higher level of QC checks than new in box, but allow me to bundle in Apple Care for close to the purchase price of just a new retail iMac.

    The way I look at it, an SSD is mandatory. If you buy the 27" non-retina iMac, and add an SSD, you already are within a small premium to get to the Retina iMac. At that point, once you configure a new unit with an SSD, it doesn't make sense to get the non-retina 27". The Refurb store savings make it even closer.

    It's going to be a big purchase. But my last iMac has lasted me over 5 years, and I am expecting this next one to last about as long. It will also pull double duty as a TV screen for Netflix etc in my home office / mancave, so it is not THAT hard to justify. That being said, my only REAL disappointment given the Ri Mac's specs, is that it doesn't support target monitor mode.

    My uses are not that complex. Just standard home computer stuff, so it's really a luxury buy more than anything else. Once I saw the 5k screen next to a standard IPS iMac, I was sold. If apple comes out with a better config by the time I buy, I can stretch the buy out a few months if needed. I have to finish moving the home office downstairs, and the accompanying remodel first anyways.
  11. miked2023 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Apr 23, 2015
    I'm the same way. It's going to double as a TV for the man-cave/music room. It's too bad about target monitor indeed. After a week of debating, I pulled the trigger this AM!

    5K Retina Imac. i7, 16gb, M295X. I also got the Audioengine A5+ speakers to go with. This will make it a very capable stereo system for the room also. Super psyched!

    Thanks for your reply and to all the others that chimed in. This baby's a go!
  12. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a


    Sep 1, 2007
    Sounds like a good choice. I think we are about 6 months out from a refresh.


Share This Page