iMac Retina refresh rate

Discussion in 'iMac' started by forg0t, Oct 22, 2014.

1. forg0t macrumors member

Can anyone confirm the refresh rate? With all this custom TCON talk, I want to just want to be sure they didn't lower the refresh rate to achieve the 5K image through DP1.2.

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

$5 says it's 60hz.

3. forg0t thread starter macrumors member

If that's all you're willing to put on it, that doesn't make me feel any better.

I'm assuming 60 Hz too, but no mention of this is kind of scary. It HAS to be 60 Hz to be labeled as "retina" right?

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

I played with it in the store, and it sure looked like 60hz to me. :)

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It'll definitely be 60Hz. Have you used a 4k monitor at 30Hz? It's terrible, the mouse lags like crazy. The reviews would have been up in arms about this if it were the case.

6. forg0t thread starter macrumors member

I have not even seen a 4k display, I don't really need a 5k display. But this is my way of rebelling against the crappy Mac Mini lineup which I'll be returning as soon as it arrives tomorrow.

That being said, I didn't realize the 256 GB SSD could be installed at no cost. So I had to cancel my order and reprocess it, pushing my delivery date to the 2-4th of November rather than that 31st of October :[.

7. rick987611 macrumors member

Got mine today. It is absolutely 60hz. No tearing like you get with those dual cable monitor setups also.

8. hyune83 macrumors member

9. greekappi macrumors member

So you made two hasty purchases? One being the Mac Mini that you want to return (why did you buy it?) and the iMac because you didn't look closely enough at the config options before purchasing?

10. forg0t thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, do you have a problem with that?

11. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Feisty!

Well, it's always best to sort out what you want before you buy it. It saves you from having to return things and it helps to eliminate unnecessary expenditures by the company you're ordering from...and those costs ultimately are passed on to the consumers.

Bryan

12. greekappi macrumors member

Yeah, I think it is problematic and my sentiments are echoed by the poster above me. Seems rash to impulse buy without making sure it's what you want, especially with such costly items.

Also, was I the only one who thought, "Mr. Lawrence?" after "do you have a problem with that"?

13. forg0t thread starter macrumors member

The Mac mini was bought minutes after the announcement. I was starting to move away from my massive desktop pc and wanted a Mac mini. Decided to wait for the announcement and when it was announced I pulled the trigger. Then the reports started coming out about the ram, HD and slower than last gen speeds. So I returned that, or will today.

Then, you guys will love this, I applied for the financing option through RBS citizens and was approved for 4k. After reading it more carefully I found out that this wasn't the 18 months no interest option. So I backed out last second and applied for the barclaycard and got 3.5k approved. And now, a few cancellations later. I'm here :)

I didn't realize the 256gb SSD could be swapped in for the fusion drive at no cost. I guess I just don't see them as equals.

14. greekappi macrumors member

All sounds fair enough to me! Good luck with your new purchases!