Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJelect

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I realize this question may appear obscure but I could not find an answer at the Apple store website.

I may purchase a new iMac 27" in late December along with the extended apple care warranty.
I noticed at the Apple site a new purchase (iMac) has a 14 day return policy.

However, in the event for some reason I am unsatisfied with the computer and initiate a return would I also be able to return the apple care protection for a refund?

Truthfully, I would think the apple care protection would serve no purpose without the iMac but unsure as to the view apple would provide.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
I realize this question may appear obscure but I could not find an answer at the Apple store website.

I may purchase a new iMac 27" in late December along with the extended apple care warranty.

However, in the event for some reason I am unsatisfied with the computer and initiate a return would I also be able to return the apple care protection for a refund?

Truthfully, I would think the apple care protection would serve no purpose without the iMac but unsure as to the view apple would provide.

Mac computers come with 1 year warranty, NO NEED to purchase Apple Care until your first year is almost up.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
Mac computers come with 1 year warranty, NO NEED to purchase Apple Care until your first year is almost up.

That's true but a new user might benefit from the additional phone and tech support beyond the standard 90 days. If it's past the 90 days and you need support you can then buy Apple Care and get it.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It would be refundable if you purchased it with the imac. If you bought the imac, then bought Applecare from another retailer to save money, you may have to take Applecare up with that third party. If this is the case, I'd still ask about it when you return the imac.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

It's in the Terms & Conditions: http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_English_NA_v5.4.pdf
Here's 1 step back in case you aren't in The States: http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html
See Part 9

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
That's true but a new user might benefit from the additional phone and tech support beyond the standard 90 days. If it's past the 90 days and you need support you can then buy Apple Care and get it.

According to all Apple stores I visit every user new/old goes to the store if they have a problem with their mac.
IMO no benefit at all for phone support when people just take it back to the store to have their Apple Products fixed.

NJelect

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Returning to thank everyone for the information provided.

Especially, Willmtaylor for the Apple weblinks regarding AppleCare - the latter was very complete! :)

Tucson Allen

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Tucson, AZ
I think we missed a point

There is no reason to buy Apple Care until near the end of the 90 day protection. Then, when you actually purchase it, the 30-day cancellation period begins, etc.

Hoek59

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Chicago
iMac Applecare/Return policy may cancel my order

I just bought the iMac 27" tonight and already may cancel my order scheduled to arrive at the end of December. When we picked up our third iPad tonight at the Apple store I learned the Applecare policy for the iMac is activated from the date of purchase, not the date you actually receive it! That also means that your option to return the iMac within 14 days is from the date of purchase. On Monday I will call Applecare and see if a change has been made to the policy and post it.

Hoek59

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Chicago
Applecare/Return policy active from date of purchase

I spoke to the folks at Applecare who confirmed the activation of the warranty policy is effective on the "date of purchase" regardless when you actually receive the iMac. That also means if you buy the iMac with a scheduled delivery the first week of January like mine, you won't be able to return it. With this policy, I have decided to cancel my order and wait for the iMac to be available in stock. To lose 6, or more, weeks of warranty coverage is too much. At the least they should change the policy to read from the date of shipping.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.