iMac running hot.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cocky jeremy, Dec 20, 2011.

1. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Normally i wouldn't worry about heat, but my iMac is freezing and getting weird graphical glitches (usually freezing then too) Any of these temperatures seem off? (fahrenheit) I should also say that this is about 5-10 minutes after turning my iMac on after being off four several hours. (24" 2.93 GHz C2D)

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those temperatures are low for iMacs using the Fahrenheit scale, but normal under load for Celsius.

3. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Then i guess heat isn't the issue then. I'm not sure why i keep getting random freezes/crashes then. This is driving me insane.

4. GyroFX macrumors 6502

5. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Not recently, but i did back when the freezes first started. All came up fine. I have no clue what it is. Sometimes i can just Control + Shift + Eject to shut the screen off, then move my mouse and it's fine. Other times the graphics will glitch a little, then boom, system freeze. I've sent reports to Apple over and over. No updates have fixed it at all yet. (Only started happening since Lion) I very rarely had any issues on Leopard/SL on this computer but once i got Lion, wow. Lots of it. Sometimes 3-5 times in a row it will happen. Other times i can go a week or more with no issues at all. It's all completely random too. No specific application, etc. I'm out of ideas.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Weird graphical glitches... could be a problem with the graphics card? You could try stressing it with a 3D game perhaps, see if you can reliably recreate the crash. The animations in Lion might be triggering it over time.

If you haven't already done so, backing up and performing a clean install would be a good idea to rule out a raft of other issues.

Are you under warranty/AppleCare? If so, you may need to avail yourself of it.

7. cocky jeremy thread starter macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Nope, no Apple Care. Even if i had gotten it, it'd be out now. Oh well. Might have to just get a new i7 with SSD. I need to upgrade anyway.