Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy an iMac shortly (waiting to see if new models are coming) but was wondering what the running noise is like on the top 27" i7 with the SSD and 1TB drive option right now?

Just sold my Mac Pro which was not too bad (but under the desk) and as an interim I'm using my MacBook Pro 13" i7 which so far is dead silent with the SSD I've put in it.

Doing late night music production so the whirring of fans can be very distracting! Any thoughts most welcome!

Cheers.

friedymeister69

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
Hi Folks,

I'm looking to buy an iMac shortly (waiting to see if new models are coming) but was wondering what the running noise is like on the top 27" i7 with the SSD and 1TB drive option right now?

Just sold my Mac Pro which was not too bad (but under the desk) and as an interim I'm using my MacBook Pro 13" i7 which so far is dead silent with the SSD I've put in it.

Doing late night music production so the whirring of fans can be very distracting! Any thoughts most welcome!

Cheers.

I'm running the 2011 27" iMac 3.1 GHz Core i5 1Tb HD and the only noise I hear, even under full load transcoding video, is the hard drive. The fans run at <2000 rpm and are inaudible.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Fans are super quiet, HDD is VERY loud...so loud in fact that I will be ringing Apple Care tomorrow.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
My 21.5" isn't exactly inaudible - I can clearly hear the fans but I use Windows and secondly the fans aren't annoying/distracting at all. Much better than typical PC workstation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.