iMac running out of disk space - My Options?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by covertsurfer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. covertsurfer macrumors 6502a

My iMac has currently 40 GB out of 500GB left.

I have a 500GB external drive that has my Time Machine backup on.

What options do I have?

Most of my data is music & films. In Finder I like the way I can click Movies and there they all are.

My only option I can think of is to use my external drive as a place to put more films etc. Then buy a 1TB external drive and then somehow get Time Machine to backup both disks.

Would I lose the ability in Finder to click Movies and it show all Movies? I assume so because it can't look at 2 discs to find a folder I guess.

Are there any other options available?

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Don't the iMAcs have replaceable hard drives? I also think that you should check out omnidisksweeper.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean the "All Movies" in the Sidebar > Search For or the "Movies" folder inside your Home folder?

[​IMG]

If it is the first (and left part of the image), then you can do what you want to do, as that "All Movies" part is just a search for all video files and not an actual folder.
    The search will include external HDDs.

Not really. It is quite a hassle to do that.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac

4. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

If you play your films out of iTunes you could just add them and they'd all be there even though they're on two drives

5. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

If you're concerned about keeping your ~/Movies folder and its files easily accessible, couldn't you just use a symlink to point to the external drive? I'm pretty sure it's do-able, and would keep your user experience the same.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Consider replacing the internal iMac HDD with a 1+ TB drive. I know the thought of replacing the iMac HDD sounds daunting and intimidating but it really is not too tough. On a difficulty scale from 1(easy) - 10(hard) I'd say this job is about a 6.

7. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

8. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

I'm not confident enough to replace the internal HDD although that would be the easiest I guess.

How do I set up a symlink?

Can TimeMachine backup over 2 disks?

Thanks

9. dhd macrumors member

dhd

Yes, TM can back up any external attached to your computer (you have to select it on the TM preference pane). If you have an iMac, I would assume you don't move it very often, so I'll get some external, transfer your iTunes media to them (use the consolidate items menu), so you can free some space on the iMac hard disk.
    A symlink is just a shortcut in Finder, select any file/folder, right-click and select "Make Alias".

10. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Anyone know where I can get a Macpower Pleiades Super S-Combo PD-SAFBA4U2OS (Oxford 934DSb)?

11. isx macrumors member

They seem to be discontinued Covertsurfer, but if you're looking for something similar in looks (to match your current external I assume) try the Buffalo DriveStation Combo4. I've got one and it looks almost identical.

12. covertsurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers! They do look pretty similar!

Not cheap though for 1TB!