iMac running slow after update to 10.7.2.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FurryFoxMacuser, Oct 23, 2011.

1. FurryFoxMacuser macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

I just did the update to lion 10.7.2 and my brand new iMac, (which will only be a week old tomorrow), is starting to run slow. Does anyone know why that might be? I'm going to try and delete my history and cache and see if that will do anything but I doubt it will. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Dan

2. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

Check the Console for hints.

3. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Ok, but what am I suppose to be looking for in here. And once I have found what I looking for what do I do with it?

-Dan

4. simsaladimbamba

You look for the process(es) with the highest CPU usage and report back or do a search on your own to find out, what that or these process(es) mean(s).
    The part about the System Memory is important for seeing, how much free RAM and Page Outs you have.
    The three links under "Further Reading" provide helpful information on how to use Activity Monitor and what to do with the results.
    You can also make a screenshot and attach it to your next post.

With Console you can copy the log and paste it into your post, if you are unsure, what it is telling you.

All these methods, using Activity Monitor and Console, are good ways to analyse, what might be wrong with your Mac.

5. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Well here is a screen shot of exactly what my mac is reading. I haven't a clue what to do from here.

-Dan

Attached Files:

6. simsaladimbamba

That screenshot is not conclusive, as your CPU is barely used and you have more than enough RAM left.

Check the Console for hints.

7. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Well it keeps changing. Also, whenever I go to open my window back up in firefox sometimes the screen will flash black once and everything is fine but is that normal? I think there might be a further problem with this mac.

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

A couple of things to try, first try repairing permissions. I would also suggest resetting PRAM. If none of that helps give AppleCare a call.