iMac running slow and always frezzing

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mechy123, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Mechy123 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone
    i am haveing a problem with iMac
    it has been running really slow and always freezing when i do simple things

I sometimes freeze randomly while i am just browsing on the internet
    My Computer just freezes when i play games and such. I can't tab out or do anything but force shutdown by holding the power button.

My Computer is normally warm when im browsing but when i play games it is burning hot.

This has happened to me for a few weeks now it never happened before
    I cannot do anything without freezing and such. It is really annoying

And when i force shutdown sometime when it freezes it will not turn on until i wait around 20 to 40 minutes.

I have tried Fixing my self by repairing my permissions using smcFanControl and cleaning my fan.

Im not sure what is the cause, i am assuming its the fan thats causing it to be slow, but it might be something else im not sure.

Here are my iMac specs

Model Name: iMac Leopard 10.5.8
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.29f1

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x9583
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-B2250L-259
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.259
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1680 x 1050
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

Yes i have Leopard because i cannot get a copy of snow leopard anywhere.

I Hope you guys can fix this.
    Its been really annoying me for weeks now.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

High temperatures are unlikely the cause of this freezing. Have you tried reinstalling Leopard? One question about the freezes; when it freezes, does the mouse still work but nothing else?

3. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've lost my copy of leopard
    And yes only the mouse works
    And it usaullys becomes the rainbow spinning ball

4. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And I also can't click anything

5. kboyle65 macrumors newbie

I agree with Intell.... High temps won't cause the freezing. Macs usually run pretty hot. If I were you I would try throwing all your important stuff on an external hard drive and maybe buy and install Lion? OR re-install Snow Leopard as Intell said. I'm no professional but that might work. If not, its probably a hardware problem. The geniuses at the genius bar will most likely fix your problem.

6. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

True but I've lost my copy of leopard and not likely to buy a copy of snow leopard anyway because my parents probably won't allow it and I don't know any apple stores near where I live...

7. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any other suggestions?

8. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379 try that. Thats to reset the PRAM, its not necessarily linked to your issue, but it might help.

You could also check see how much RAM is being used on a standard browsing session? Activity Monitor tells you RAM in/out/swap (this might explain the hotness) although to be honest the other posters are right, macs run HOOTT! ;) To check this you could down iStat Pro (it also comes as a widget for dashboard)

Download Onyx, and go through the various bits n bobs particularly the stuff under the 'cleaning' tab.

Hope these bits help

9. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

What does resetting the pram do??
    And yeah I do have iStatpro

Btw Merry Christmas!

10. Mechy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey I've reset my pram and it seems that it hasent really done anything and also when I downloaded onyx i tried then yet again my computer froze