iMac running slow... freezing often.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grantrobarts, Sep 6, 2008.

1. grantrobarts macrumors member

So I am ready to throw my 24" iMac (white) through the window. I am having it freeze and run utterly slow pretty much everyday at least once a day. I am running the latest version of Leopard and all my software seems to be up-to-date.

I am usually running photoshop, iPhoto, or something big when my computer bogs down but last time I checked that shouldn't matter.... OS X seemed to be pretty good at handling more than one large application open at a time.

It's a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, with a NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT.

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I recommend backing up your precious data (photos, videos, documents, etc...) and doing a full reinstall.

You can toss your OS X Leopard disc #1 into the drive and hold down C at boot to open the CD. Wipe your drive and do a clean install. :)

3. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If it is only freezing when you are working on the media apps, then try running Activity Monitor and watch the System Memory tab to see if it is out of Free memory and using lots of Swap. If so, you are simply low on RAM.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Usually we use that as a last resort ... this isn't a Windows machine.

Could be something as simple as a process that is hogging the machine time, is running once a day.

Looking for that might help and take less time to fix than backing up the entire machine and reinstalling an offending app.

One person complaining about a slow machine, kept reinstalling the OS, then immediately putting Norton Antivirus back on it -- which turned out to be an app creating all his angst.

5. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

firstly

1. Use disk utility to repair the permissions on the hard disk, also might be worth running verify disk whilst your there
    2. Reset the PRAM

3. Reset the SMC if it's a intel based mac

6. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

I had this same problem with my iMac G5 17". I was running slow and freezing all the time too. I reinstalled photoshop and BAM! It was back to normal. Try this and let us know how it goes, it might only have worked for me.