Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrake86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Georgia
I recently did an update about a week ago on my imac and it updated iphoto and I think either itunes or something else it wasn't a big update but every since I did that update my imac has been running a little bit slower. There is a delay when I type to actually viewing the text on the screen? I use the disk utility after I do updates. Anyone know what could be going on?

Thanks.

oursfan

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
I have the same problem in iphoto..... I have been trying to make adjustments to pictures and sometimes it freezes up for about 5-10 seconds. I have noticed it in a few other areas like front row too. I have only had this iMac for a month or so and this is the first time I have seen these issues. Anyone else know of this problem or have a fix?

tsd

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Pennsylvania
Here's the first couple of troubleshooting things to do:

Technically, none of these things should work, but I could swear that they've solved seemingly unrelated problems for me and others.

1. Repair permissions. Start up from your OS X Install CD 1 by putting it into your optical drive while the computer is running, then restart the computer, and hold down the "C" key while the computer starts up. Continue holding down "C" until you see the grey Apple icon appear on the start-up screen. Once the installer loads, select English as your language, then go to the menu bar and find "Disk Utility". Run a permissions repair on everything you can. Just don't click any buttons marked "Erase". Restart when you're done.

2. Reset the power controller. Again, a random thing to do, but why not? Shut down your computer, and unplug the power cord and every other cord from the computer except your keyboard and mouse. Leave everything unplugged for 5 minutes (probably only needs 1 minute). Plug the power cord back in, but leave everything else except keyboard and mouse unplugged. Start the computer back up. Plug everything else back in.

3. Reset your PRAM. Restart your computer, and hold down the following keys while it restarts:
"Command" "Option" "P" "R". You have to hold them all down at the same time, and keep them held until you hear 4 startup chimes. Some say just do 2 chimes, but an Apple tech told me to keep holding for 4 chimes. What I usually do is go to the Apple menu, click Restart, then before I click the confirmation button, I'll go ahead and press Command+Option+R with my left hand, then click Restart, and hold the "P" down also while it shuts down, restarts and chimes 4 times. After all that, let go of the keys.

4. Download and use the free program Cache Out X:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14850
It clears all your system's cache files so that it's as if you're starting up OS X for the first time. Warning: if you clear your browsers' cache, you'll have to retype all your usernames and passwords at internet sites.

5. Download and use the free program Maintidget:
http://www.giantmike.com/widgets/Maintidget.html
It's a Dashboard widget that can run all of OS X's late-night maintenance programs and UNIX cron tasks when you want them to. If you shut down your Mac like me, or put it to sleep at night, those maintenance scripts will never get run. Maintidget lets you control when they run. Restart when you've completed.

6. If it's still funky, try deleting the preference files (.plist) for the affected programs, and/or any programs that could have caused the slow-down. Preferences are located in the folder: username > Library > Preferences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.