iMac running slowly suddenly

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rotgut, Sep 15, 2013.

1. rotgut, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

rotgut macrumors newbie

iMac late 2009
    Current version of mountain lion

The other morning I woke to my computer making a very loud noise (fan I'm assuming), after waking up the computer the noise stopped but suddenly any program I touched made the color wheel come up and the program to either become unresponsive or insanely slow and delayed.

I've repaired and verified through disk utility with no success. I checked activity monitor and I have 90% idle roughly and almost 2Gb free ram.

Nothing new has been installed. The only thing I've done differently was I had a gaming amp and headset powered through the USB.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

could be failing hard drive but strange that disk utility didnt report anything.

loud fans could mean that something is overheating inside the iMac - maybe something went wrong with the hdd as they tend to have temperature sensors on them. or maybe there is a lot of dust inside your iMac (but that seems unlikely).

i dont have that much experience with iMacs but it really sounds like bad drive. try creating new user account and see if that helps.

3. rotgut thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried under another profile and got the same results. I vacuumed out the vents and the fan hasn't been loud since but it's still running horribly.

Smart status is verified which I believe indicates the hard drive is okay, but perhaps I'm wrong.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I have had limited success with Apple's built-in S.M.A.R.T status tool. A couple of times I've had failing hard drives and Apple's tool always returned perfect results from the hard drive. I installed a 3rd party S.M.A.R.T reporter app and it verified my hard drives were bad. Took the Macs to the Apple store and they verified this too. They replaced both. I would recommend that you try this.

http://download.cnet.com/SMARTReporter/3000-2086_4-49263.html?tag=rb_content;contentBody

5. rotgut thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out there was a recall on hard drives installed in models sold 2009-2011. So apple is taking care of the faulty hard drive.