iMac running so slow, please help!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cory702, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Cory702 macrumors newbie

Okay, so here is my issue. After rebooting my iMac everything is fine, no problems with opening apps, clicking any buttons... Nothing. I would say then roughly about after an hour and a half of use (mind you I make sure to quit all applications I am not using due to frustration with the snail pace) I usually walk away from my computer and it puts itself into sleep mode. Then I go to turn the computer back on, no problems with reboot... But THEN IT HAPPENS... I will go to click any button in the task bar, and it will take roughly 4 seconds before anything will pop up... Open any applications? Forget about it your waiting easily 10 seconds for anything small to open up.. Forget about any big apps like Illustrator. I have tried to every type of cleaning imaginable from repairing permissions on down. RAM isn't really the problem either as I still maintain about 2.7 GB of RAM (I am currently running 4 as of now). CPU percentage seems to be okay, it stays roughly about 80% idle.... But it takes forever for anything to happen.. I also thought it may be hardware so I ran every test I could think of from memtest on down. Everything came back O.K.. Has anyone had any problem like this before as I would really like some help...

2. Jexta macrumors member

It could be a number of things, both software and hardware can cause speed issues. I would get a program like TechTools to test the integrity of your HDD and make sure it isn't failing. If it is, replace it and move on. If it isn't failing I would try a fresh installation of OS X and see if the problem persists.

3. eduardrw macrumors 6502

4. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

Zap your PRAM, mine was doing the same thing and nows its fast again...

5. Cory702 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a close to a tb of free space left on my HDD... My mac is a 2009 21.5 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with a tb of memory on the HDD.... Even when my computer is running slowly I have roughly about 2.4 gb of RAM avail... I will try zapping my PRAM and see if that does anything. There is no spinning beach balls or anything, just like a 3 second lag when clicking anything. I agree 4 gb is not a lot, but my Toshiba netbook with 1 gb of RAM didn't even run that slow even while running almost every application imaginable.