iMac running so slow, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cory702, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cory702 macrumors newbie

Okay, so here is my issue. After rebooting my iMac everything is fine, no problems with opening apps, clicking any buttons... Nothing. I would say then roughly about after an hour and a half of use (mind you I make sure to quit all applications I am not using due to frustration with the snail pace) I usually walk away from my computer and it puts itself into sleep mode. Then I go to turn the computer back on, no problems with reboot... But THEN IT HAPPENS... I will go to click any button in the task bar, and it will take roughly 4 seconds before anything will pop up... Open any applications? Forget about it your waiting easily 10 seconds for anything small to open up.. Forget about any big apps like Illustrator. I have tried to every type of cleaning imaginable from repairing permissions on down. RAM isn't really the problem either as I still maintain about 2.7 GB of RAM (I am currently running 4 as of now). CPU percentage seems to be okay, it stays roughly about 80% idle.... But it takes forever for anything to happen.. I also thought it may be hardware so I ran every test I could think of from memtest on down. Everything came back O.K.. Has anyone had any problem like this before as I would really like some help...
    Cory702 is online now Report Post

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I've seen similar symptoms. Just off the top of my head: Do you have plenty of hard drive space available? Also, create and login to a new user account to see if the same behavior occurs.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.