iMac running suddenly extremely slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by emilyanne1988, Aug 17, 2013.

1. emilyanne1988 macrumors newbie

I really need help. I have been unable to use my imac for a month now and I'm at a loss.

It all started when I got up one morning and tried to wake up and use my mac. Once the screen came to life, I tried to click on my firefox to bring up the internet and the icon just started spinning and wouldn't stop. It took ten minutes to bring up a firefox window. When i tried to go to facebook or my email, it would run the same loading icon on my mouse and nothing would happen. I tried to exit out of the window and it wouldn't let me do anything until the previous action it was working on was done. I ended up turning the computer off and then restarting it. This didn't fix it and i have been unable to use my computer ever sense.

It did do this once before and I was able to restart my system and use my time machine backup to get everything back. It's been 4 months from the time that I did that the first time to this second time. I tried to restart the system again but it wouldn't let me. It would indicate that it can't find the imac hard drive and could only find my backup. I know apple issued a recall for the hard drive that came with my computer but with the information I have looked up, this doesn't seem like a hard drive issue. I was thinking it was something with the RAM? I only have 4gb in my imac but i really dont know.

I really need my computer working (graphic design major) and class starts very soon. If anyone has any advice or something I could try, I would really appreciate your help!!!!

2. mocathain macrumors newbie

have you booting into recovery and verify & repair disk permissions & disk
    also try clearing out the caches

3. emilyanne1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't even get my mac to turn on a boot to the home screen now. I tried going into recovery and deleting what is on my hard drive and the hard drive isn't responding so I'm going to go out on a limb and say the hard drive needs replaced. I really don't know what else it could be at this point.

4. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

Have you tried apple hardware test, though I think you need a wired keyboard.