iMac running super slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AndrianaArt, Aug 15, 2012.

1. AndrianaArt macrumors newbie

Hello, my parents have a late 2009, 27inch iMac running Lion 10.7.4 They say that ever since they upgraded to Lion they have been experiencing random freezes, slow start up and lagging apps. They took it into the Mac store and they reported nothing wrong with it, wiped it and clean installed Lion again. They brought it home and the same slow downs began to happen again. I have been playing on it and it starts up super slow, opening apps is a nightmare, I have been looking around the forums but haven't seen any solutions to this issue with 10.7.4 Wondering if it has something to do with the graphics card? ATI Radeon HD 4670? Any advice or a point in the right direction would be helpful, thanks!:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

My wife's 2009 iMac 27" i5 runs everyday tasks, safari, mail, iMessage, iPhoto, etc practically just as quick as my '11 iMac.

Both are running ML with full clean installs currently and were running the latest Lion installs before ML. No problems, I would have heard about it as my wife is not very patient with slow computers.:rolleyes:

I did upgrade the RAM on the '09 to 8GB, as well as installed an Intel X-25M 80GB SSD back when those drives were new

4. AndrianaArt thread starter macrumors newbie

Ram

It has 4G of RAM, and it is slow doing simple tasks, like opening safari and address book. These slow downs happen randomly, one min you are cursing the thing, the next it is loading everything as quick as can be.

5. Virgule82 macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me. Lion eats memory, so I upgraded to 8G of RAM. Check memory usage in Activity Monitor, if you're using any swap you could benefit from a RAM upgrade.. Also, upgrading to Mountain Lion helps.

6. AndrianaArt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you guys, all of this info is super helpful. Upgrading them to Mountain Lion. :)