iMac runs very slow

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pjr772, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Pjr772 macrumors member

Hello all I am a new member. I have a late 2009 iMac running snow leopard that runs really slow a lot of the time. When I first get on it whether it's from initial start up or from sleep mode it's fine but the longer I use it the slower it gets. Most of the time to the point of unusable where I have to hold the power button to shut it off and let it sit for a while. Almost like it overheats. Just started doing this the last week or so. Thought it may have been a software issues so I backed up and reinstalled osx. Ran the apple hardware test and nothing was wrong. Ran onyx and ran apple jack. Nothing seems to have worked. Any ideas?

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

How much HD space do you have and is available? How much memory do you have?

3. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

1gb memory
    230gb available out of 250gb

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You need more memory. 2GB minimum (4GB would be MY minimum). Just to run Safari that can eat up to 1GB give or take. Your iMac is starved. It slows down every time it pages out to the hard disk. Which will be in about 10-30 min of just web browsing and mail after a reboot.
    Your iMac can use up to 16GB of memory.

It is super cheap:
    8GB Kit: $45.99
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0B7B2F1EA5CA7304
    4GB Kit: $22.99
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4ED6B01DA5CA7304

You may be able to find it cheaper. Do some shopping.

5. Pjr772 thread starter macrumors member

I think this question may have answered my question. With no open apps I only have 92mb of free memory. I'm assuming that's a problem