iMac runs very slowly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rnev, Aug 8, 2010.

1. rnev macrumors newbie

I have a few ideas but I really do not know what is going on. My iMac core duo with leopard and 2Gb of ram is the one running slowly. When looking at activity monitor the system memory is always being used with lots of page outs. The hardware is all the same as my macbook however it is running snow leopard. just comparing the two computers activity when running the same programs the iMac has over 3 pages of things running while the macbook has a little over one. Aside from safari the top ram using programs on the iMac are WindowServer kernel_task DashboardClient,Dock which all use over 100mb of ram and mds which uses over 50. The only one of these programs that is one the macbook is dock and it uses a tenth of the ram there. The other troubling thing is the user of the programs. On the macbook every program has me as the user on the iMac I am only the user for about 2/3 of the programs most of the other user is root but there is also window server spotlight mdnsresponder and daemon. We took the computer to apple genius a few weeks ago just saying that it was very slow. All they did was delete some cache files and ran diagnostics on the hardware which were all good. I am not sure if any of these things are actually the problem but I am sure that there is something wrong.

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Reset SMC and PRAM and repair permissions with Disk Utility. Also, a clean install of Snow Leopard shouldn't hurt

3. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

don't jump to a clean install too fast, macs shouldn't normally require that as often as Windows would.

you could try installing Onyx to do some maintenance, clearing caches again and such. Use disk utility to verify disk, repair permissions, reboot, try resetting the PRAM too by unplugging everything including the power cord in the back and leaving it off for an hour or so.

Plug everything back in and see if it's still slowing down.

4. rnev thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. Leaving it off for a while unplugged. Nothing worked. Do you have a direct diagnosis for one of my symptoms or are you just saying some general catch all fixes. Like I said The Genius did the caches and diagnostics but he really thought we were just crazy and were trying to make a four year old computer run like a new MacPro. Any other ideas or other things I should look for.

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

Hm. No I don't have any clue what it could be. The steps outlined usually fix most problems, and may speed it up a bit, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working.

I'll ignore hardware since an apple genius guy ran diagnostics which I assume are reliable.

I guess now that all those have been taken, the only remaining option is a fresh install. Backup all your data with time machine or whatever you use, stick the leopard dvd in, and do a clean install of the OS, then import your data back in.

A fresh install should have it running like new, and if it does not -- then maybe there IS a hardware issue that wasn't caught. Either that or some program you've installed is causing problems.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As I said, a clean install of Snow Leopard wouldn't hurt. Your iMac likely came with Tiger so if you have done upgrade installs on both, Leopard and Snow Leopard, there is a lot crap in the system slowing it down

7. the.orange.tuba macrumors member

Try Onyx as the other user suggested

I just installed and ran Onyx tonight for the first time ever, and it definitely sped up my system. I want to hug someone at Onyx it helped so much! :D They suggest backing up your files to be safe before running it , and that's a good idea, because with computers you just never know. That said, I had no problems at all. :)

Good luck. Let us know if you fix it.

8. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

Create a bogus test user and login as that entry and use the machine under that account. See what happens and let us know!

9. jpoterbin macrumors newbie

Corrupted flash drive

Could be a corrupted Flash drive. I had a similar problem and I tried everything except keeping a close eye on the flash drive. Once a disconnected it and restarted the computer everything was fine. And make sure you disconnect the drive before restarting the computer.

Also I wasn't able to salvage the drive. Disk utility wouldn't let me repair it or reformat it. So I just grabbed the files I needed and ditched the flash drive.