iMac - Santa Rose Chip Set

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cs0088, Dec 15, 2007.

1. cs0088 macrumors newbie

Since I am new, any one can tell me what is Santa Rose Chip Set?

For the aluminum iMac, does its CPU run with Santa Rose chip set?
    If Yes, aluminum iMac run with Santa Rose chip set already when it first introduced? or it just changed recently?
    (because I knew that the MacBook changed the chip set just recently)

The reason I ask this because I am going to buy an iMac, and the store in my university has iMac for sale(the price is lower than Official Student Discount Price). However, because I am not sure aluminum iMac runs Santa Rose since it first introduced or just changed recently like Macbook, I worry the price is lower due to clearance

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Santa Rosa is the code name for the Centrino 4 platform.

The chipset is Crestline, Intel Mobile Express 965, which is what the new iMac has. And it really doesn't have enough of the Intel chips (wireless, ethernet, etc.) to be fully stamped a Centrino product.

3. cs0088 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I don't need to worry that it is clearance product right?

4. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

No, A Santa Rosa chipset would be adequate for most needs right now.
    The reason it's on Clearence is because new chipsets like Penryn are coming out in January.
    If your planning on getting a iMac, and want penryn, you could find yourself waiting till about March or May.

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Santa Rosa is current technology as of (what's today's date?... :D) Dec. 15. Penryn comes out in January though, and then you'll be obsolete :D.

6. cs0088 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one more question. For the 2.4Ghz iMac, when the ram insdie the graphic card is not enought for itself, will it share little bit with the main ram.
    (I don't know whether you guys can understand or not, sorry)
    I mean when the graphic card's ram is not enought, will it share some extra main ram like Macbook?

7. Sped macrumors regular

The iMac is NOT like the Macbook. The iMac has a dedicated graphics card with its own memory.