iMac Saturday delivery option in UK ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shotts56, May 31, 2011.

1. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Morning people

A quick question - I have (at last) taken the plunge and ordered my first iMac on the Apple UK store and selected the Saturday delivery option for an extra £20. It is scheduled for delivery this coming Saturday, ie in four days time.

However I'm so excited, and I've changed my mind and want it NOW! I called the Apple online store to ask if I could scrap my Saturday delivery option and change it to the next day option.

The response was (from an American, bless him, I'm not sure he had even heard of Scotland, never mind know where it is) was that if you choose Saturday delivery, it will still be delivered as soon as it is ready. For example, if its ready on Wednesday it will be delivered on Wednesday, regardless of whether you've paid for the Saturday option or not.

I didn't want to question the guy as you would expect he would know more than me, but that just seems really odd. Anyone any experience of Saturday delivery in the UK, is he right ?

Thanks

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

I can't speak for the UK, but as an American who knows where Scotland is (that is in Asia right? Kidding) at least here, even if you pay for two day service, if the actual delivery time is quicker they WILL NOT hold it, they will deliver it sooner. So, all the Saturday delivery means is you will at least get it Saturday. Most delivery companies here do not work weekends (except for USPS and some FedEx locations) so Saturday is an extra charge, otherwise if the delivery could not be made on Friday, the delivery company holds it until the next business day, which would be Monday. So you paid to ensure the delivery company will bring is at the latest Saturday, but it could come sooner.

Make sense?

3. shotts56 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Marc, that's what I think he was getting at - that the Saturday delivery charge gives you the option of a Saturday delivery, but it might come earlier. It's just odd that isn't positioned like that anywhere in the T&Cs. Fingers crossed it comes sooner.

And yes, Scotland is in deepest darkest Asia (I wish! At least then the weather might be better!)

:)

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Don't count on it, I am in Japan now and, other than today, it has rained almost every single day for the past 10 days.

I think the reason they do not spell that out is people might claim the 20 quid back if the package arrived sooner...

5. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I'd have thought they would hold it back if it was ready for delivery sooner. The main reason for choosing a Saturday delivery (in my opinion) would be that the buyer works Monday to Friday and there's no one else available to answer the door.