iMac Scratched out of the Box (please read)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Perk10, May 2, 2013.

1. Perk10 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I just bought a 21.5 "base model" iMac and it looks almost as though it has previously been returned.

The back of the casing has "stains" or dark spots where it looks like it has been rubbed on something. Also, the corners where the styrofoam touches the computer when in the box are marred a little bit.

Also, let me ask this - are the "Apples" (logos) on the front and back of the iMac covered with square plastic that peels off when you unbox it? I unboxed my Mac, and although the Apples are not scratched themselves, there is another "stained" area making a perfect square around both of them on the front and back. I never removed any plastic from these, however the computer WAS wrapped heavily upon unboxing.

At first glance I thought this was just normal, and with a slightly dampened rag with water, would just come off. Well, that's not the case. I've had the computer for about 2 weeks and am considering replacing it but I have already put ALL of my stuff on this one. I am not happy. The SCREEN is 100% fine, so fwiw everything "works" just fine. I am mildly OCD though, and there is no law or policy against this.

What do you guys have to say about this?

edit- it also appears that the ports in the back (USB, etc.) were once covered by a square plastic protector. I can tell because there seems to be a residue from the protectant that was once there and has been peeled off. I DID NOT peel this off, though. Does this mean it comes like this from the factory, as in they are covered while being built or did I buy a returned, rewrapped computer that did not get "re-stickered?"

Thanks in advance for your responses

John

2. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Let Apple know and return it.

3. Perk10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know if these squares I am seeing are from previously covered Apple logos? I still don't have an answer to my question....

4. bluechair1984 macrumors regular

I don't have an answer for you because I have never owned an iMac, but then again, does it even matter? It looks like you got a physically jacked up computer, take it back.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

There's no law or policy preventing you from being OCD. Apple has a 14-days "no questions asked" return policy, so your OCD is covered.

FWIW, returned Apple products go to an entirely different depot than the one that ships new stuff, so while it's not impossible you got a returned one, I think the odds are exceeding low that's what happened.

x2.

You're not happy with it. Send it back.

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The new iMacs do not come with protective plastic over the logo's or ports. Return it if it is bothering you. Apple will replace it. Back it up before you send it back using Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you can easily get the new iMac you receive back up and running quickly. As for getting a refurbed iMac, I highly doubt it. If you paid for new, then you got new. Just a bad one that slipped through.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

No plastic on my new iMac. Did you buy from Apple or a reseller? As others have said refurb units are sold as such from apple. From a reseller though, who knows.

8. Perk10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this computer at an actual "Apple Store", brand new. Unfortunately it has been 21 days.

:eek::mad:

9. drambuie macrumors 6502a

My late 2012 27" iMac had a large thin foam sheet that covered the lower part of the back to a bit above the ports, and wrapped around the front of the screen with an equal amount at the top back, and each side. Under that, the screen was protected by a plastic sheet that overlapped to the back on all sides. Also, the stand was protected by an exact fit sheet of sticky plastic.

If you want to see how an iMac is factory wrapped, watch a Youtube unboxing video.

10. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

If you purchased it directly from an Apple store what are the chances that they might have sold you a "display" model? Just a thought. My late 2012 iMac was wrapped exactly as explained above and it was delivered directly from China.

11. Perk10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought this computer at an actual "Apple Store", brand new. Unfortunately it has been 21 days.

:eek::mad:

----------

Well that would be some shady **** now wouldn't it.... I'm gonna watch an unboxing vid. Don't get me wrong, this thing came wrapped like a mother. I'm just trying to decide if it was a re-wrap.

Kelsmom- do you have any imperfections on the back of your iMac? Like lets say the sunlight or a bright lamp hits it, is all the metal surfacing even in color tone? I am being picky, I'll admit, and in a dim room you can't see much of anything on mine

12. Kelsmom18 macrumors newbie

Kelsmom18

Sorry Perk - mine is clean as a whistle. No imperfections that I can tell.

13. WilliamG macrumors 604

There may have been plastic over the ports. The screen has plastic over it that wraps around the back. I don't recall, though, if it went as high as the ports, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that some of the adhesive could have gotten near that area in any case.

14. leman macrumors 604

Apple has a very generous return policy. However, by not raising any complain within the 14 days you have effectively forfeited the right to return the machine. Anyway, your story is inconsistent: you tell that you are very attentive to things like that yet you waited for two weeks before starting to take any action and in addition, instead of talking to the seller (as any sensible person would have done) you come and complain of the internet?! Next time: think about these things earlier.

15. drambuie macrumors 6502a

On my 2012 27" iMac the clear plastic didn't reach the ports, but the white foam wrap (bag) actually wrapped around the entire iMac to overlap itself, and was sealed with the standard tear apart label. I just looked at the wrap to confirm this. I had forgotten how big it was.

16. Arfdog macrumors 6502

You might be SOL. Just TALK TO APPLE AND TELL THEM HOW YOUR THING WAS WRAPPED.

17. Perk10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was so excited about the computer that I assumed the markings on the back were from the packaging and would wipe off. Unfortunately I had to go out of town shortly after purchasing and just got home to find that they seem to be permanent...

18. HenryDJP macrumors 603

None of the things you mentioned (save for the plastic over the Apple logo on the back) are common with a brand new iMac. I've had 4 of them. Sounds like you may have gotten a repackaged one by mistake.

I'm really confused though as to why you waited 3 weeks to even bring this up here, let alone address it with Apple immediately? I remember 3 years ago getting a Macbook Pro that had dirt inside the box, a dent at the bottom and fingerprints on the screen. It was definitely a repack. I called Apple the same day for an exchange. Why would you even bring this up 3 weeks later? They may take care of you even though you're over the 14 day period but your story is not going to have any validity waiting close to a month to bring this to their attention. Just my 2 cents.

19. PJM82 macrumors member

PJM82

It's a little odd though, I wouldn't be happy but I can't explain those odd squares other than the manufacturing process going wrong. My iMac 27 I received the other day in the UK only had the front plastic screen protector and completely wrapped foam sheet pls some plastic on the stand.

I would be pissed if it was anything but perfect. We pay that premium above PCs for perfection. I would go back to the store and ask why it's like that, they normally bend over backwards in the ones in the UK I've been to and one in New York.

It's the main reasoning expanded out my families multitude of iPads, iPhones and iPods to include an iMac.