iMac screen black. It got stuck in a loop and froze.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wakiki, Jul 30, 2010.

1. wakiki macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here!

I was playing Diablo II and my screen froze, and the same half second blip of sound kept playing over and over. I couldn't even force quit, so I held down the power button until it turned off.

Now, it won't turn on. When I press the power button, there is no chime. Oddly there are an inordinate number of fan wooshes. Like, I hear a woosh from the right, which is normal, but then I hear a woosh from the left, then another in the middle! I am being bombarded with wooshes!

There is no chime.

I've tried holding alt, or holding shift, or holding alt+s while starting up. No dice, although I do get fewer fan blasts, which is normal.

I hope you folks found my description sp

2. wakiki thread starter macrumors newbie

Darn. I'm posting from my iPhone and I clicked off the text field, and I couldn't scroll down to finish my post.

Anyway, what I was going to say was I hope you find my description specific, and that I have looked at your wiki page about macs not booting up, but I it didn't solve my problem.

And lastly, thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: Wow, I just made an interesting discovery! My mac is actually on, just the screen is black. I'm pressing my volume buttons and it's making those blipping noises! This must be a display issue.

3. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Sounds like a possible Logic Board failure.

Try this:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

4. wakiki thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately, I already tried that. I also tried booting it up in safe mode and while pressing ctrl C. And a few other combinations.