iMac screen calibration for photogs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ironsidephoto, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ironsidephoto macrumors member

I have a 27" iMac (no color fringing issues! Yay!) that I'd like to calibrate for photo processing. I've never had a problem with color issues etc. with prints in the past, but some that I recently got back looked quite dark, so I figured it's about that time.

Are there any recommendations on how to do this and not blow a hole in my wallet? Spyder vs. i1Display 2? Different "pro" levels etc of either? I'm lost.

Here's an interesting blog post about it. Let me know if you agree.
    Bret Edge Photography The iMac Calibration Conundrum

Thanks.

2. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Spyder worked great for me...

Not too expensive, and works well. Getting ready to buy a 27" iMac i7, will use it to calibrate it as well. My white 24" is 98% dead bang accurate with it. I produce publications and my press proofs look almost identical to my screen...
    Good luck...
    Michael

3. ironsidephoto thread starter macrumors member

Which one? Express? Elite? I know there are different kinds, and I think I've heard that the new 27" is a little more difficult to calibrate...i.e., spyder 2 doesn't work, but 3 does. any ideas?

anyone? ooooook thanks.

4. ironsidephoto thread starter macrumors member

5. CW Jones macrumors 6502

I like the Spyder 3 Pro personally. I do not have an iMac, but it works well on my MBP and LG external monitor.

6. jamescrash macrumors newbie

7. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I own a Color Spyder 2 Express and I've been very happy with it. I have used it to calibrate at least 6 different displays and it calibrates the glossy HD display of my ProBook just fine if that's a concern of yours.

8. mlblacy macrumors 6502

Mine is a Spyder II Pro Suite, with both screen and print calibration.
    The screen cal is awesome, the print part is rubbish... And was not worth the effort, so I don't use that part anymore.

Can't speak to the 27" calibration yet, but I have zero worries about bringing in in line. There were the same dire warnings with every iteration of the iMacs, take them with a large grain of salt. Lastly, while glossy is not preferable... The issue is overrated as a concern. My new system should be set up in the next two weeks...
    Cheers,
    Michael

9. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Just used the Spyder 3 Pro to calibrate a small office and studio of iMacs (24" and 27") and Dell machines (5 computers in total). Very happy with the results, we can now move from screen to screen and the images appear consistent whichever they are displayed. We then print to a Fuji Frontier 370, and the prints too are very consistent with what we would expect from the screen image. So basically it comes highly recommended by me :)

There is a Pro/Elite comparison section on the Spyder website (sorry, no link to hand and I'm on a slow connection right now). The Pro has the same software and sensor as the Elite, so no difference in quality of results. The Elite allows a few more options though for larger studios etc from what I understand.

Hope that helps.