iMac screen developing dirt inside? (2nd dirty screen)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Roy G Biv, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I have a 2009 27" iMac which developed smudges of dirt on the inside of the screen. It was replaced this past December under warranty by Apple, and I was pleased by the new screen.

I've noticed my new screen developing the same dirty look--dirty smearing as well as what looks like fingerprints--in the upper-right corner, the same as the other screen. So what the hell?

This is on the inside where I cannot get to without a plunger. Is dust finding its way inside somehow? I found a thread which suggests this may be widespread:

http://nanchatte.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/imac-27-recurring-dirty-dark-patches-screen-problem/

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know what you mean, and my iMac has a little dust build-up in there. But I just used my wife's lufa (sp?), the shower sponge thing's suction cup to pull off the glass and do a quick wipe down.

The outer piece of glass comes off with very little effort and is just magnetically held in place. It's shocking how easy it is.

Give it a shot.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yes, it happens. And gets posted about a lot here. If you have AppleCare, get the screen replaced. If you do not, iFixit has suction cups for sale that allow you to take the glass off.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

It almost looks like condensation?

You could take the glass off yourself, takes all of 2 seconds with a suction cup. dollar store has them.

Ive gotten mine off with a knife even, pretty easy.

Ive take the screen off all of my AL iMacs, my 24" one at least 5 times. Ive never seen any dust ever.

5. stevenlcs macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Slightly off topic here but does anyone know if this issue also happens to the Cinema Display?

6. Roy G Biv thread starter macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

When I took it to the Apple store, they replaced the LCD screen, saying that it was inside the screen itself and therefore could not be cleaned. I'll probably end up taking it back for that under my Apple Care.

Is there a way to seal the screen so this doesn't become a recurring issue every few months?

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Its not typical, somethings not right.

Mine is 4 years old, never an issue.

8. Oggy macrumors member