iMac screen flaw, anyone seen this?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KSpider, May 3, 2012.

1. KSpider macrumors regular

Had my 27" iMac for almost a year now, and i just noticed this distortion/flaw on a reboot. It is apparently visible 100% of the time, much easier to see on a dark gray background. Its like a smudge/crack but under the glass, hard to explain. Just a darker "crack" looking area. Here is an iPhone pic.

[​IMG]

any idea what this is?

2. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Looks like a dust problem, do a search. Mine is one year old and flawless and has been opened up a few times too, not may not be so lucky.

3. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely not dust, and it has never been opened... have an appointment at the apple store, it definitely seems to be an LCD issue.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If you have an appointment with Apple, why not wait and see what they say? Always best to report facts rather than conjecture.

5. dearlaserworks, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Almost certainly dust or smoke residue and you don't have to open up the case to get the problem. See this thread for how folks have dealt with it, in or out of warranty.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101370

6. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

Someone posted a picture that looks exactly like my issue. This person opened up their iMac and cleaned it, and it was not dust. Like his, mine is best visible on a gray background, and not visible when white.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=315318&d=1323315006

I posted asking if someone knew what it was without having to take it into Apple initially. You never know, maybe it is a simple fix other then replacing the LCD (which sounds like what it will have to be).

7. harlex macrumors member

I am sure the Apple guys will fix it for you, they are great, the best repair service any company can offer.

8. KSpider thread starter macrumors regular

It is a good thing I noticed it this morning, my warranty is up in just under 2 weeks.