Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
About 1 month ago, everytime I wake up my iMac from sleep, in the mornings, the screen flickers. But it stops flickering after around 30 minutes of the iMac being on.

Any thoughts? Is the screen dying?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Not a lot of info here...

About 1 month ago, everytime I wake up my iMac from sleep, in the mornings, the screen flickers. But it stops flickering after around 30 minutes of the iMac being on.

Any thoughts? Is the screen dying?

But it could be GPU issue.

Bomb Bloke

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2015
Tasmania (AU)
Are you talking about the LEDs that drive the backlight, or are you talking about the actual LCD that produces the colours?

Assuming it's the brightness you're referring to (the LEDs), it's probably be related to the system's inbuilt power transformer (which'd definitely warm up a bit with half an hour's use). It may even just be that you've got a disc in the drive, and that's how long it takes before the system decides to spin it down and stop sending it power.

Regardless, I wouldn't be too concerned. After all, the only real precaution you can take is to back up. You should be backing up anything important to you whether you think there's an impending problem or not - the whole point of doing it is to do it while you can. There's not much you can do to stop a system failing, but you can at least be prepared for if it does!

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I mean the screen itself, it flickers. Does it mean the screen will die and blackout and stop working soon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.