iMac screen is old

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ilan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. ilan macrumors newbie

If I read the iMac timeline correctly below, the iMac screen hasn't been updated for over 3 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_iMac

Both the wife and I want to switch from pc to mac, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy now when you have retina this, retina that... not to mention the new Dell 4k montitors/tv's.

I realize that a new lamination process was just introduced, but the screen itself hasn't changed in a long time. Right?

2. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Most desktop monitors you'll find will be 1080p (a lot even lower!). iMac 27" has a 1440p.. It's also pre-calibrated from the factory unlike MOST other brands. And somewhere on that timeline, Apple switched from CCFL to LED backlighting. 4K is obviously Apple's next move for iMac/Cinema Displays since they brag about 4K support on the new Mac Pro and are offering 4K displays as an option to pair up with the purchase. I can only imagine this time next year, Apple's new 4K Cinema Display will be out. As a frequent gamer, the 4K native resolution frightens me as gaming at native resolution won't be very possible without a ridiculously top tier video card. I think the 1440p displays are a good middle ground for now but I do tend to agree with your concerns.

I feel on a pixel density level where pixels are undiscernable on iPads/iPhones/MBPs, etc.. The current Cinema displays and Macbook Airs feel out of place.

3. Bear macrumors G3

It's going to be a couple of years before 4K screens are affordable for the people who buy iMacs.

Also, if you wait to buy an iMac you'll find something else that needs updating when they do update the screen.

The 27" iMac screen resolution is very good. Go look at it in an Apple store.