iMac screen issue - what is this (pics)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fenir, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Fenir macrumors regular

Just noticed this on my iMac that is ~ 2.5 months old. At first you may think it's a glare, but I assure you its not. Is it like moisture or condensation? It is inside the glass.

This is from far away. The issue is in the lower right-hand side. It's kind of a wave-like pattern.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is up close. Don't mix it up with the glare which is at top. It's still the bottom right corner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your pic is way to blurry to judge. You need to post a clear pic.

3. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, it was taken on my iphone. Even though it might be a tad blurry, it's that huge white thing that kind of looks like a whale.

FWIW, it appears to be shrinking, I'm guessing it had to be moisture. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this from happening?

4. benmoorhouse macrumors member

It's odd how everyones condensation issues are in the bottom right?

I would suggest getting the pack of gel that the iMac shipped with and leaving it near that area for a couple of days? Worth a shot...

Also, I might be tempted to unplug it until its cleared up to be sure you don't short it.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

That is BS... Apple needs to get on top of these seemingly constant QC issues with their systems.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Not really.... I got some bottles delivered to me once that had tiny amounts of water in the bottom of them, obviously from there it had got so cold, condensation had formed, then they got warm so fast it turned to water at the bottom, same theory applies...

Unless you think apple should delivery every mac by hand and cradle every user to make sure they don't get any boo-boos I don't see why your post is very helpful to the OP

Anyway

To the OP, I'd leave your mac off and unplugged for atleast a few hours and let it adjust to the room temperature.

7. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'm saying in general, things like that don't tend to happen to monitors at all. If a host of others are experiencing the same issue as benmoorhouse's statement suggests - It's odd how everyones condensation issues are in the bottom right? then it very well could be a QC problem.

I am also saying in general that there's been far more problems reported now than there has in the past, maybe because there's more units being moved, but that just goes to say that they should be paying even more attention to detail and QC.

I for one know a LOT about the issues that occurred with the aluminum iMacs when they first came out, specifically w/ Video and how there were a ton of them locking up randomly. More than I am "allowed" to say and unfortunately that's all I can say.

The issue should have never seen the marketplace in the first place.

The issues people are having w/ the mpb screens should not occur, the thermal paste over application/overheatings / continual random shutdowns/case discolorations/case chipping, none of that should occurred with the Macbooks. (My cousins 1st gen Macbook was just shipped back 1 month ago for a bad hard disk. They basically rebuilt the thing w/o asking or being asked to because of those issues the best I could tell)

8. akidd macrumors regular

Spill the beans

As you are using a user name and not your own. go on, tell us what you are not allowed to say. Otherwise don't do 'Oh, it's more than I can tell you,' without backing it up.

That's just unfair - and potentially liable.

A

9. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Don't the glass pieces just have magnets holding them in? If you're into the do-it-yourself type of thing get some suction cups, pull that thing off, clean up the condensation and hope it goes away.

10. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I agree, Apple does have a lot of QC issues lately. I've had my fair share of issues with a few MacBooks.

To the OP:

Since your computer is less than 3 months old, I would call Apple if I were you and see what they say. It does not hurt to try.

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Look here Akidd, don't be immature about it. I don't care if I am using a user name and not my own. I will not risk my ass any further than saying what I already have. Apple have been good to me and I intend to hold up my end of the bargain. If you have a problem with that, I urge you to PM me and we can talk further about why I don't care about what you have to say to me in regards to your taunting words.

I leave you with these three words.
    Non Disclosure Agreement.

12. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

Whatever it was, it is gone now, took a couple hours to disappear completely. The weather he has been like a roller coaster, was 90s yesterday and 65 today, but I doubt the weather had anything to do with it. My mom told me she sat her coffee "nearby" and that she thinks that may have caused it, so I'm going to blame that for now.