iMac Screen-Lines of Dead Pixels. HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by froggytreafrogg, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. froggytreafrogg macrumors regular

    froggytreafrogg

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #1
    Hi, I use an Intel white iMac 2.0gHz as my primary computer. So far, it has given me no trouble. However, lately I woke the computer to discover a yellow line of dead pixels all the way to the right of the screen. It was discouraging but since the line was out of the way, it wasn't a great deal. However again, later today, I woke the display to find another line running down the middle of the computer. Oh gosh! Anyone know what is going on? Is it the display or the graphics card? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :apple:
     
  2. MTI macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Location:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #2
    Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news . . . but it's the LCD panel. More likely than not it will continue to get progressively worse, with the lines getting wider and growing in number. An external monitor, running in mirror mode will work fine, but the internal LCD is going to be useless sooner or later.
     
  3. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

    froggytreafrogg

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #3
    thanks for the response. that's actually what i figured. well, im used to using dual monitors. is there any way i can still do this even though the imac lcd is going out?
     
  4. MTI macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Location:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #4
    Sure, using the mini DVI adapter to suit an external monitor and having the Display settings turned on to Mirror mode will solve 99% of the issue. The remaining 1% crops up on those occassions when you have to boot the computer in safe mode or when you're installing/reinstalling the OS, since the display adapter won't know to be in Mirror mode until the drivers load.
     
  5. froggytreafrogg thread starter macrumors regular

    froggytreafrogg

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2008
    Location:
    Louisiana
    #5
    oh i see. do you know of anyway to disable the internal lcd?
     
  6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

    angemon89

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2008
    Location:
    The place where Apple designs stuff
    #6
    Let me guess, 17" White Core 2 Duo iMac or similar?

    This is common. My cousin got his fixed out of warranty because he convinced AppleCare that this was their problem and not his. Apple has yet to acknowledge this defect.

    There is a huge thread over on the Apple discussion forums about this issue. In the thread, a poster by the name of lenn5 gives some good advice about what you need to do to convince Apple to fix this if you don't have AppleCare.

    My cousins iMac was pretty bad though. It started off with a few lines, then the number of lines gradually increased. Pretty soon and there were 3 big white bars down his iMac's screen which made it pretty much unusable.
     

    Attached Files:

  7. MTI macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    Location:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    #7
    Apple probably can't "acknowledge" since there are at least two lawsuits in federal court that have been filed in the past year regarding the "defect."
     

Share This Page