iMac screen or video card decided to break

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cornchild, Jun 24, 2012.

1. cornchild macrumors newbie

I have a 2007 24' iMac and today the screen began to visual tear. :( After a reboot I get the attached artifacts and the computer will only boot into safe mode.

I was surprised that the artifacts appear even in a screenshot. This to me would indicate the Nvidia 7600 card has broken maybe?

Any idea's would be greatly appreciated. Can I replace it if it is the video card?

Thanks,

Thomas

Attached Files:

2. Scythe5 macrumors regular

I'm going to say no. The video chip is soldered directly to the logic board. It might be fixable, but I am not sure how much it would cost you to have apple fix it (if they even have the logic boards available anymore.)

You might running the apple hardware test. If you are not familiar with how to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1883

3. theturn macrumors newbie

my own 7600 in a 2006 24 incher went south 2 years ago I had it replaced this spring after it started making the computer crash, my artifacts were more scattered around the screen akin to redrawing bugs and appeared especially under heavy use (x-plane).

draw you own conclusions but it's not a bad idea to have it looked by an authorized repair shop because the part is still on apple's listings although at a pretty steep price.

----------

untrue for the 7600, it is replaceable however the lower option for the iMacs at that time was soldered to the board.