iMac screen problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kokoloko80, Sep 25, 2014.

1. kokoloko80 macrumors newbie

hi all

came across this problem with my late 2012 imac 21.5 inch display

attached is the photo of the lower left corner of the screen. you can clearly notice black "smudges". this is for sure a screen problem as this stains appears on all apps/movies/ etc. and it is extremely noticeable in white screens such as this one.

has anyone came across this kind of problem? should i take it to the lab? or just bear with it (im way beyond my warranty and no apple care)

regards.....(link to the photo below)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgp3jozr8quv1ja/DSC_0518.JPG?dl=0

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Shade on a screen is far from soothing...

Sad times for your iMac!

The good news though is that defects such as these are indeed rare and quite limited in scope. Normally a screen which shows shadows like these is merely showing its age.

Not to say it is any less annoying by any means but the only true fix for this is a replacement screen. For your screen I would estimate between 300 to 450 for a proper repair. If you do get it done, ensure the repair shop offers substantial warranties for their work and the product itself. Apple will also replace the screen for a *ahem* "fee" (their words).

Good Luck!!:D

3. kokoloko80 thread starter macrumors newbie

ryguy92000 thanks for your respond!

i would definitely take the mac to an authorised apple retail store, however you mentioned that apple would replace the screen, but as we all know the screen and the entire hardware are embedded one another not like a pc where each part is alone, is this mean that they will offer an upgrade with an addition of payment?

4. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

More than meets the eye!

Believe it or not those tight looking iMacs are quite serviceable and parts are assembled similarly to a normal house PC. We perform your particular repair in our shop here in salt lake on a daily basis. If you would like to see the steps needed try doing some research with iFixit.com and you may be surprised just how easy it is to service those finely produced iMacs!

Good Luck! :D

5. pcd109 macrumors regular

try to go Apple

Hello my Israel friend,
    I live in EU and here the home user is protected for two years with or without extended warranty. If a product presents major defects before 2 years the producer is obliged by the EU rules to repair them or replace the machine on they sole expense. So please try to get in touch with your local authorities(consumer protection services) and see if the same applies to Israel. My guess is yes. If not, go to Apple and if they refuse to repair for themselves go to a local tv station and show them how 'high end' your iMac screen is. Make sure to reach prime time news with your case. I bet Apple will bite their tongue and will replace your machine. It's not normal that a high end product with a premium price tag is defective after less then two years of functioning. Do not let yourself fool by the merchants around here; Apple should repair your machine asap. Hope this helps you.
    All the best :),
    C

p.s. DO NOT try to crack open your iMac, it will void your warranty. Plus the process is very hard, and few have broken their computers trying to do it. The screen is GLUED onto the metallic chasing and you risk breaking your machine for good.

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Are the marks on the glass or the LCD? If you're not sure, pop 2 suction cups in the top corners and pull gently to move the glass, and see if the marks move.

It looks suspiciously like smoke damage that I've seen in the past, which can sometimes be removed from the glass.

If it's on the LCD, you'll be looking at a new panel.

Scratch that, its a 2012 - you'll need a new screen either way.

7. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I had this very same issue on my 2013 27". The screen needed to be replaced (I am third screen at this point, due to other issues, one more strike and I am demanding a new machine).

I believe Apple attempted to rectify the issue by changing their adhesive tape design. The original design has the bottom tape as one piece. The new design has the bottom tape as two pieces with an L shape at either end.

This new design ensures there's no "gap" in the bottom left and right corners. This air flow gap can result in apparently creating some sort of internal suction within the LCD panel as they may not be 100% sealed (the LCD panels have black tap around the corners and edges, but its not a totally sealed unit as this is an apparent issue).

I realized this change when I purchased a service kit for the 21.5 and 27" iMacs (for work on a different model no longer cover under any warranty). There was a printed notice to discard a certain bottom strip which is no longer in use. After suffering this very same issue and seeing how the design of the tape changed a few months after the late 2013 model's release, it all makes sense that there was indeed some adhesive tape design flaw.

Long story short, a replacement from Apple (assuming you have warrantly coverage) should solve your issue and it *hopefully* shouldn't occur again.