iMac screen problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Craig Attacks, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Craig Attacks macrumors newbie

Craig Attacks

E54A0FA9-D634-412F-ABA2-0564C6221F84.png C24B2108-8E9A-4546-9349-4C45805D445A.png

Hi all,

I have a late 2015 27” iMac that has been a workhorse for the last couple of years. I was working on it this morning, then rebooted and it took about three minutes (very unusual). When it finally loaded the login screen, the display loaded in sections, like horizontal lines (almost like Venetian blinds opening). It does this a few times, then flickers whenever I try to do anything on it. Documents open but load in horizontal lines. Videos don’t play, and when I press the volume key, there is a symbol indicating that there is no audio. The screen often flickers too, depending on what I’m doing, and the fans have fired up on and off even when on the desktop. Hard drives have plenty of space and this is a very well looked after machine. Could it be GPU related?

Any help greatly appreciated, before I box it up and drag it to the Apple Store.

Pics attached.

Many thanks in advance,

/ Craig

2. cwanja macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, vertical lines point to a bad graphics card and horizon lines mean a bad display. Based upon what you are reporting, it it is likely the screen.

3. signuphere macrumors newbie

Get an HDMI cable and plug it into a display (TV) to confirm it's got a bad screen.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

That's how it looks when it's started in "Safe Mode" by holding down the shift key to prevent certain drivers from loading. It could be software related.