iMac Screen Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iGrainger, Jul 11, 2011.

1. iGrainger macrumors member

iGrainger

Hey guys,

I just got my new iMac and I need to download software, films, files, whatever, and I'm in the process of doing that, and anything else in the future that I need to, I will download it. The issue I have is, I don't like downloading when I'm on my Mac, as it slows my bandwidth.

I want to be able to turn off my screen, but let my iMac continue running programs in the background, ie. downloads. If I put my iMac to sleep, obviously it shuts off everything, and I can dim my screen, but not all the way like I can on my MacBook.

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

simsaladimbamba

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

You can set the sleep time for the screen in System Preferences --> Energy Saver. You can set sleep times for both the display and the computer there. The display will go into sleep if you do not use your iMac within the preset time. And the computer will go into sleep if no programs run within the corresponding preset time.

With the sleep times set properly, you can leave your iMac on without ever turning it off if you like.

4. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Agree with above....

Use System Preferences setting to change "screen saver" settings and "computer sleep" settings. Both settings do different things.

5. iGrainger thread starter macrumors member

iGrainger

Thanks for your help guys, will look into the settings and change it around then!

6. omvs macrumors 6502

Hadn't know about that one, good to know!

I have mine set up so mouse in lower-right corner does display-sleep (System Perferences, Expose & Spaces, Expose Tab)

You will want to adjust your computer sleep time as previously mentioned, though some download programs will prevent computer from going to sleep until transfer finishes.