iMac screen replacement

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Oct 2, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I recently got an Intel Core Duo iMac, all works perfectly but the LCD has been badly abused. It has been clearly stabbed, several times. You can still get a viewable picture on the screen but I'd really like to replace it. The problem is an early intel iMac costs like $80-$120 bucks on ebay and the display alone costs around $120, I could just throw it out and buy a nonbroken iMac for cheaper.
    So I was wondering if the iMac G5 uses the same display, and is it cheaper? If so I'd just toss one of those in it.

17" model

2. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Maybe you could try to pull the part number off and see if there is a generic replacement available? There should be enough dead machines around that you could find a replacement. Perhaps you could try the LEM Swap mailing list as well.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I recall that the LCDs are not swappable and that they use different signalling.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

They are different. You could ruin the screen and/or logic board.

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

the poly carb intel iMacs use a LVDS signalling for the LCD screen like in a PC laptop (in fact theres a little board you can buy that lets you use 17 inch laptop panels even 1920x1200 ones) the poly carb iMac G5s use a TDMS signal for the LCD panel its very close to DVI/HDMI and you can solder on a DVI/HDMI cable and with a bit of work use a iMac G5 as an external monitor (theres some guides on tonymacx86 where hackintoshers do this sort of stuff)