imac screen smudge

Discussion in 'iMac' started by warlun, Jan 19, 2009.

1. warlun macrumors member

Below is a photo of my iMac screen.
    It has developed a brown smear on the right hand corner.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    I don't have apple care, but it is still in the first year. Shall I send it in?
    [​IMG]

2. zombie1210 macrumors regular

zombie1210

3. hardax macrumors regular

Did you ever get this fixed or figured out what it was?

My 24" Alum. Imac has developed the exact same thing top middle of my screen.

4. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I believe you guys will find that it is not a smudge, but more of an lcd burn from it being too hot behind the screen or a persistent image. Unfortunately, last I checked this is pretty common in the 24" iMacs. Should be covered under AppleCare though.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get yourself 2 suctions cups from your autoparts store and lift that glass off and check it.

6. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Thread resurrection! lol

I have this now on my 21.5" in the upper left hand corner. Pretty damn noticeable and much larger then your picture.

7. deminister macrumors newbie

Smudged Imac

I have the same problem and Apple already replaced the screen times on two earlier occasions. It is NOT burned in although the smudges initially appear on the upper side of the screen. It is simply dirt that is in the air. it could be anything. The problem is the design of the machine. The glass could be taken off from the front within seconds. You can even ask a lady with long fingernails to take it off. You will notice that the smudges appear not under the glass plate, neither on the surface of the LED screen. The smudges are on the inside. They can be cleaned but any apple service center prefers not to do it. So in warrant they replace the screen, in my case at a rate of one every two months. My third screen has the same problem.

If you take a look at the design and you compare it with the 24" cinema display, you will notice that the glass plate fits in the aluminum frame, preventing it from catching as much dust as the Imac. The glass of the imac is on the outside not covered. With magnets that are not strong enough to keep it airtight it is bad luck for Apple.

8. deminister macrumors newbie

Smart statement. I think however might have had that very same idea himself. It is neither on the glass neither under it but inside the plate that covers the LED display. In warranty they will replace it.

9. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Just got my LCD replaced so here's hoping it doesn't come back.

The guy at AppleCare specifically said that this was a recognized problem and that it has been fixed with current LCD replacements....lets see if his statement holds true.

10. Vylen macrumors 65816

They cut off the hands of the employee who kept smudging the screens at the manufacturing plant.

11. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Foxconn? They probably jumped out a window...

12. Vylen macrumors 65816

I was going to say "They didn't fix anything, the problem solved itself after the employee who was smudging the screens committed suicide" but didn't think it was "appropriate", heheh

But, well, since you started it :p

13. katsuka macrumors newbie

it's so called "MURA" a defected lcd....you can google it.
    suggest you for replacing!!

14. erure macrumors regular

Sorry to revive this thread, but I thought it'd be better than writing a new one since it's the same problem. I have a 27" iMac that I purchased this year and I had the LCD screen replaced because of the issue in the end of December 2010; it's been just about a month and I'm seeing the stupid smudges again. I don't mind taking it in to get it repaired again (I'm well within the warranty); I'm just worried this will happen again... and again. Is there really no fix to this problem? I don't know if this matters, but I don't smoke at all. Thank you.