Imac screen too dark when Playing video

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steve5424, Jan 13, 2010.

1. steve5424 macrumors member

Hi,

I have a late 2007 20" Alu iMac and when ever I watch videos they appear too dark. I have tried changing all the settings I can find and nothing helps.

Its ok if I use VLC as I can change the brightness within the program but anything else ie quicktime, youtube or other embeded video always looks way too dark.

Has anyone else encountered this or is there something out there that I can do do brighten the video image?

Thanks

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The only system-wide setting that would effect this (besides brightness which is controlled by the F1 and F2 keys by default) is the Displays setting in System Preferences.

Click the Color tab next to Display.

I recommend using an RGB color profile as most are standards for internet images (sRGB) as well as printed images (Adobe RGB (1998)). I use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 because it's a widely popular standard for internet, print and displays.

3. steve5424 thread starter macrumors member

I have tried all the profiles and I can get the screen a little brighter videos are just too dark.

If I boot into Windows via Bootcamp its so much brighter.

Is there anything I can download that will reset the brightness or allow me to at least brighten up video playback?

4. olvrfshr, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. steve5424 thread starter macrumors member

I am sure its not the video. It happens no matter what I am viewing. For example youtube, quicktime, tvcatchup.com DVDs. Its definately the screen being too dark.

Good thing is when I can use VLC I can manually adjust the brightness within the program but that doesn't help anything else. Its Always been like this since I got the iMac in Oct 2007.

6. olvrfshr, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Have you tried adjusting the contrast setting slightly? (go to Universal Access under System Preferences).

I know a couple of people who claim it also helped with the yellow tinge issue, but I'm not sure I believe it.

8. saoir macrumors member

I have this exact same problem on my iMac. I got it two years ago and it works perfectly in every other respect and is very bright. I even do the same with vlc. I have been asking about this on usenet for ages but no one seems to know why ...

Saoir

9. devianter macrumors member

can u make a screenshot or better a good photo of your imac screen ,not in fullscreen mode ,just in a window so we can see the difference ?

10. saoir macrumors member

I'll give it a go - why would a photo be better than a screen snap ?

S

11. devianter macrumors member

coz screen caputers what the gpu sees i suppose.and not what your lcd screen shows you.a photo would be better

12. steve5424 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply. I tried what you suggested and with the slider all the way to the left, it has fixed my dark video problems.

13. kapamalo macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, and this suggestion fixed it. I can now see what's happening in dark scenes! I chose the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile, changed my resolution to 1680x1050, and it lit up the night! Thanks MrCheeto.
    kapamalo

14. scottwaugh, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

scottwaugh macrumors 6502

I remember hearing that Mac's and PC's use different Gamma settings (one is 2.2 and one is 1.8) and this is often at the heart of video that plays dark on Mac's.

In VLC just bumping the Gamma adjustment up brings the light back to the video.