iMac Screen too glossy?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleDApp, Jul 1, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Do you find the iMac or the cinema display too glossy? I was at the Apple store yesterday contemplating getting an iMac and I watched an HD video to appreciate the HUGE display and for most the video I could see my reflection especially in light colored shots.

What is your opinion on that?

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Turn up the brightness of the display will help. A glossy display reflects if the background is brighter than the display.

As a matter of fact, every screen reflects. This reminds me a story that happened years ago with a CRT monitor. At one time, we bought 4 PCs for the office. Looking into a monitor, we could see a horizontal line near the bottom of the monitor. The sales lady exchanged the monitor. The same thing happened on the second monitor. When she was about to send back the second monitor for an exchange, a wise elder man came into the office and noticed that the horizontal line was purely due to the reflection from a window. We then moved the computer to a different place. The horizontal line then disappeared.

Having told the above story, I'd like to say that Apple screens are good ones when you avoid a bright background. I currently have a 27" Cinema Display. At its price level, it is the best display in the world for ordinary uses! Surely, there are much better displays for professional uses!

3. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

4. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Great thanks for the input my office is nowhere near as bright as the Apple store. but it seems odd that being in a darker setting is the solution.

5. Michael D. macrumors member

Truth to be told, I've not had noteworthy troubles with the glossy display. I had to figure out a decent placement for my previous matte display to avoid reflection.

No new measures were necessary.

6. tobypb macrumors member

I thought the gloss would be more of issue than it is. I sit quite close to the window but brightness control keeps most reflection off. My old matt screens use to have glare problems being close the the window, so in a way I think this screen manages it better. For me I'm happy with it.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I hated it, and it was main reason I took my iMac back for a refund rather than a replacement.

I found it much worse at night though. That said, they sell well so I guess I'm in the minority. For now I'll stick with the MacMini

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

No, I'm with you. It's the reason I haven't bought one yet. I've considered getting a plastic screen shield that makes it more matte-like, but then I'd be spending $2000+ on a new computer that doesn't do what I want, which feels wrong.

9. atMac macrumors 6502

It's actually noticeably more glossy than my MacBook pro.

10. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

As long as I keep the blinds closed on the window behind my Imac the screen is great.

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Personally, I use my glossy iMac in a room with all windows that faces east when the sun rises in the morning.