imac screen turning on

Discussion in 'iMac' started by puckhead193, Dec 18, 2007.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So i'm home for break and their computer is in my room :rolleyes:
    Anyway I've notice the screen will randomly turn on. Recently, thanksgiving time i went to install leopard but couldn't because the drive was failing so i brought it in and apple replace the HDD. Would that cause the screen to be messed up. :confused:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Can you clarify? Is the computer asleep, off, etc? Exactly what is it doing?

Do you have any devices attached to the computer (either via cables or bluetooth)?

And no, swapping the HD shouldn't change anything.

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

the computer is sleeping. The only thing that is attached is a bluetooth keyboard (apple) USB MS mouse and USB printer and ethernet cable for internet that's it.
    If it matters its a stock 20" C2D ~ white

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is the computer actually waking up, or is just the screen turning on (while the computer continues to sleep)?

If it's the second, what does the screen display?

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

the display is turning on. I set it to turn off the display in 10 mins but the computer never actually sleeps cause i don't want to loose the AIM connection.
    When the screen does turn on it's whatever we were doing last. Most of the time the apps are closed and its just the desktop.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I still don't follow. In your most recent post you say "the computer never actually sleeps" but in the post before that you say "the computer is sleeping." Which is it?

If the computer is NOT asleep (with just the monitor off), is it possible that you're accidentally moving the mouse or pressing a key?

It's also possible that this is being caused by your mouse (or another peripheral device) that is slightly incompatible.

Next time, try disconnecting everything except the power cord and see if the problem persists.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

the display is set to turn off after 10 minutes. I'll try unplugging everything. Nothing has changed same mouse/printer/keyboard etc. This never happened since we had to get a new HDD b.c it was failing. (i was trying to install leopard and it would always fail so I brought it to apple they said it was the HDD and replaced it and did a clean install of leopard)
    It just happened. I was laying in bed watching tv (CSI Miami) when it just turned on. No one was walking near my room nor was i moving.

8. tcoleman macrumors member

Could it be the ghost of the old hard drive is haunting the imac? :D