iMac screen -> water, windex, iklear, etc

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alana22, Mar 27, 2009.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

I notice people saying to use water when cleaning the screen, well that just smears the smudges. So, is there any product I can use such as Windex, 409, etc, on the screen of my iMac or is my only option the absurdly overpriced cleaners from the Apple Store?

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

If you're talking about the Aluminum iMac...just use whatever you use to clean your windows (Windex). It's glass, you're not touching the actual screen, it's just regular glass.

On older iMacs, you would not want to use such a strong cleaning agent.

3. IrishBritish macrumors member

IrishBritish

cleaner

I use my eye glasses cleaner ,comes up super clear and if it won't harm my eyeglasses I'm sure it's ok for the imac screen.

4. TomThumbIMP macrumors newbie

Dont use Wndex

Windex and other glass cleaners can leave a hazy residue on plasma and LCD screens. Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of filtered or bottled water (i.e. reverse osmosis or distiled, demineralized water) and isopropyl alcohol, then lightly mist it onto a very soft, nonabrasive cloth, such as a cotton T-shirt or a large microfiber dust cloth. (Paper towels may scratch the screen.)

I use it to clean my 20 inch iMac (none glossy screen).
    Windex may be the best for windows etc, 409 is good for the kitchen etc. but never around computer.

Hope this helps.

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I got a great little pack in Asda off all places for £5.

The manufacturer is an unknown (to me) called "Ross" and the package includes a "Computer Screen Care" spray and two blue micro fibre cloths.

You find them beside the blank DVD's and CD's etc.

No complaints thus far.