iMac screen - Where to Buy??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stewartfan123, Jun 12, 2011.

1. stewartfan123 macrumors newbie

I am shopping on eBay for a good deal on an iMac, and I found a few that obviously have the 17" Intel iMac screen problem (Lines, etc.) and I have done a few searches on Mac parts websites, including eBay and can't find a replacement LCD anywhere! Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

2. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have found over 50 screens for the 17" iMac G5. Do these work with the 17" Intel one?

3. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, it's official...I have won a 17" iMac 1.83GHz without a screen. The seller is including everything necessary for an external monitor, and shows it working with an external monitor, but I would like to eventually purchase and install a screen on this computer. The only problem is that I don't know where to purchase a screen for it that's less than $250. I have been enlightened as to the G5 screen situation, that it isn't compatible with the Intel iMacs. Any ideas?

4. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I have a 17" Intel iMac that has a cracked screen and has been that way for about a year. The lowest cost that I ever found was on ebay for 250. I gave up and disconnected the internal screen and am running it off an external screen. While I was in there I upgraded to an SSD in place of the HDD and stuck a larger traditional drive in an optical adapter. I have never been happier with it and don't feel an urge to replace it anymore.

5. stewartfan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I understand, I'm just too cheap to do something like that. Haha. I'm not buying an SSD until the price for them goes WAY down. Plus, it's got a 320GB HDD, so size is definitely not an issue.
    I've already purchased the AirPort Extreme card (It didn't come with one installed) and the RAM door is on its way (It didn't come with that either), and I just bought a 2GB RAM upgrade (It came with 1GB). After that, the only thing that I'd like to change on it would be the screen. At that point, I'm likely going to just sell it on eBay again. I'm not as happy with it since I found out that it won't be officially supported by Lion.

6. MTI macrumors 65816

I had a 17" 2006 intel iMac that developed the vertical line issue. Following the method outlined in a couple threads here, the Apple Store techs replaced it at no charge this year.