iMac Screens

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Saternoc, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Saternoc macrumors newbie

Recently my aunt's iMac screen went completely black. She took it to the apple store and they told her that it would cost her about $700.00. I started doing browsing around and found that iMac's esp. the 24 inch screens are susceptible to getting spots or lines running through their screens.
    I was wondering if you knew if Apple took of this issue because I am considering purchasing a "desktop" Mac. Would I just be better off with a mac mini and a separate screen? I don't do professional photo editing or heavy gaming incase you were wondering. However I do like that the iMac has better graphics, a stronger processor, and more hard drive space.

2. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

wow, sry to hear about that. Depending on the age of her iMac, it may be just buying another iMac.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

iMac screens are great. But if you would rather buy 3rd party monitors then get a Mac Mini.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I recommend that whatever Mac you purchase next you get AppleCare as well. Early on with my mid-2007 iMac I had some screen issues and Apple replaced the LCD panel twice. Since then I have had no problems whatsoever with the last replacement. However, if anything does happen in the next 13 months of remaining coverage Apple will repair/replace it for free.

AppleCare for iMac is only $120 from L.A. Computer (even less on eBay). That's $5.00 per month for the extra two years of coverage.

5. Zdob macrumors newbie

I solved the same issue by switching to a new Mac Mini + 3rd party monitor.
    Visit this page for some alternatives to ACD.

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

My Rev A Alum iMac 24" 2.8 Extreme is on 7 days a week for 18 hours! I have never had any screen issues with this iMac!

Being a professional graphic designer and part time photographer, I rely on my iMac. I have been more than happy with my first iMac, both in speed, and quality of my screen.