Imac screw stripped

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by goosecoupe, Dec 5, 2010.

1. goosecoupe macrumors member

So received imac back from Apple and the screw on the bottom where the memory goes into has bee stripped. I managed to take the plastic cover off and took it back to Apple and they told me they wouldn't replace the stripped screw (even though they ruined it).

Just curious to know if anyone knows the screw thread size? I don't believe a hardware store would have it, since it is meant to fit perfectly into that mac. Or perhaps know of a website where they would sell this screw?

This is for the newer imac!

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Why in heaven's name would they refuse to replace a screw? What's the sense in pissing off a customer over a screw. Ridiculous!

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'd go back and talk to a manager. That's ridiculous.

On the screw itself, I'm not sure how easy it'd be to find that at a hardware store, it's a pretty unusual shape.

jW

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As it's a captive screw in the RAM cover it is unlikely you would be able to get a separate screw - Particularly from Apple - they're not a hardware store!!

Did they say they couldn't or wouldn't replace it? There's quite a difference! I should imagine something like a "RAM cover assembly" could be obtained as a spare and replaced under warranty.