iMac SD Slot not working & After start up is locking up and asking to reset

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacRacer, Sep 10, 2011.

1. MacRacer macrumors regular

How have you all been doing. I been on here posting and such but its been some time now. Anyways, I have a questions and hope to find a answer here. I have a 27" iMac that has a few things going wrong lately. I am running Snow Leopard and been having issue with data lose and such. My first issue the SD card slot not working properly. If the Mac is running and I insert a SD card in, it doesn't come up and it doesn't show in Disk Utility. I have to reset the computer and it will then register the SD card, but if i pull it out, it still says in connected but there is no card in the slot. Secondly, due to me restarting the computer, I open iPhoto to edit my photos, I get this little window saying the System need to be shut down and I have to hold the power button. The screen will dim lightly too. After reseting the system for a third time, it takes longer to start up and them by the time I get to my pictures on the SD card, half of them are corrupted. It shows them there but it can't open that JPEG file. There is where I am at a lost. I don't know if the OS is messed up and need to be repaired or if I have bad hardware like ram or something. I hope someone can help me.

2. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

3. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

I have the Apple Hardware test in extended mode and found nothing after 5 times. So would my problem be an issue in the OS itself?

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Have you repaired permissions on the hard disk? Also have you tried resetting the SMC or PRAM?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Apple has some good suggestions on their support site.

Cheers,

5. MacRacer thread starter macrumors regular

I did the disk permissions repair and did the SMC reset but it is still messing up. I don't want to reset the system since I have no clue where my restore discs are at.