IMac second monitor problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by srbell, Oct 17, 2013.

1. srbell macrumors newbie

I've got a IMac 27" from 2011 hooked up to a Dell U3014 external via a mini port to DVI adapter hooked up to the Thunderbolt port. The max resolution option is 1920X1080 instead of the Dell's native 2560X1600. Am I missing something? Kind of a waste of a 30" monitor! BTW, I updated the os to 10.8.5 with no difference. Help?

2. Jaguarxl macrumors member

Jaguarxl

Look into monitor configurations. There you can set different resolutions for each screen. I used to have a 24" monitor hooked up on my 15" MBP. Each screen had different resolutions.

3. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

Did you get a DVI-Dual Link, the SL link will max out at 1920 x 1200.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I googled the model. Is it this one? If this is the right one, I cannot understand why you would use dvi. You should never use conversions when they are not necessary. This model appears to have both displayport and mini displayport connections. Your imac uses thunderbolt, which is backwards compatible with displayport. Why would you use dvi when it is just there for legacy reasons? I would not buy a dual link dvi. It's ridiculous to use anything other than displayport on this unless you lack a computer that supports displayport.

That might actually work, but it's a really bad idea on this one. DVI had too many variations in general.