iMac Selection Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MG86, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MG86 macrumors newbie

MG86

First post. After raiding the search function and reading a ton of reviews, I am still on the fence between an iMac selection.

Background: Im about to start grad school and my 2011 macbook pro isnt going to cut it. I have a wife and two small children (2 months and 3) and in the next year or so, my 3 year old will probably start using a computer for some educational/early childhood development programs. I have not owned a desktop in my adult life, but most of my work will be done at home, so I am setting up a study/office and would prefer more room to research and write. I do some amateur photography and currently have aperture on my macbook pro. Bottom line: The primary use will be writing and researching, with a little photo and kid stuff here and there.

My options: 21.5" 2.9 ghz iMac $1489.00
    27" 3.2ghz iMac $1789.00
    27" 3.3ghz Retina iMac $1989.00

Supplemental info: I wasn't considering a 27" at all, until I realized that when I research/write I typically have 7-10 windows open at a time. This is exhausting on my macbook, since I am constantly filtering through windows to find the one I need. I would cut down on that a lot with the 21.5", and tremendously on a 27". I have a large desk (63"x23"), so a 27" wouldnt be too large. Plus, I am going to put it on a riser. Also, bigger is always better, right? Lastly, I know I dont "need" a retina iMac, but at only 200 dollars more than the non-retina 27", I feel that it would be stupid to not at least consider it. If they are all going to be moving in that direction, I would like to not replace the new machine for as long as possible. Having updated technology may help combat that.

Thanks for the help on this.

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

My suggestion is whatever iMac you decide upon, at the very LEAST, get one with a Fusion Drive, or better still an SSD.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well any modern computer will do your use case with little trouble. In fact putting an SSD in your 2011 MBP will probably be all you need add an external screen and mouse and keyboard and you could be golden for 2-3 years for less than $500.

Assuming you've looked into that and still want the desktop any of those will be absolutely great for you with one caveat. Upgrade to fusion or SSD either one will do but they make any computer a much snappier, faster acting and loading beast and I can't reccomend anyone spends that sort pf money on a PC without getting one.

As for having a lot open go to mission control and put your cursor in the right hand corner of the screen, a + sign will appear click on it and get another desktop you can do this multiple times and have a couple of things open on each desktop and swipe between them with 3 fingers, it helps organise your **** when studying immensely.

4. MG86 thread starter macrumors newbie

MG86

Thanks for the responses. I guess the ones I mentioned above only have the HDD. I am buying on base, so it's an authorized dealer, not direct from apple. They do have a riMac with the 1tb fusion drive for 2289. So I guess my question is, is the fusion drive worth 200 more than the non-fusion riMac and 400 more than the regular iMac?

5. Totally Bored macrumors member

Totally Bored

Yes it's worth it. Go with the 27" 5k with Fusion Drive.

I went with a SSD drive because I do multitrack recording but the Fusion drive gets great reviews here. You should be good with what your needs are IMO.

6. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Yes, at least a fusion drive is very important. SSD is even better, but it appears you have limited options on configurations. I normally also recommend AppleCare with iMacs, but that could also not be something that is available with the sales channel you are dealing with?

Also, budget a few $$ for an external drive for Time Machine backup (if you don't already have one).

You're going to like your new machine!

7. BenGieCruz macrumors member

BenGieCruz

I was going to buy on post to save taxes but there's no way you can configure them since they're already built!
    So went ahead and ordered through apple a 5K 4.0ghz with the m295 and 8gb of ram... (upgraded ram my self)

8. MG86 thread starter macrumors newbie

MG86

Thanks, I already have a 1TB time machine router/hd, but since I moved a couple weeks ago and had FiOS installed, I haven't plugged it in. I was worried that having two wireless routers may be an issue. Is there a way I can just use it as a wireless backup and turn the router portion off?

9. MG86 thread starter macrumors newbie

MG86

I think the top model they have on base is a 5k with a fusion drive, 3.5 ghz, and 8gb ram. It runs 2289. Yes, the bonus is no taxes and if the machine they have works for me I would prefer getting military/education pricing, and tax free.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yep the fusion drive really is worth it.

As to the routers just use one in bridge mode and plug the other into it.

11. MG86 thread starter macrumors newbie

MG86

Which one should I use in bridge? The time capsule or FiOS router?

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I'd use the FiOS but I'd do some research first and see what is going to give you the best wifi.