iMac serial number

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AllergyDoc, Nov 14, 2014.

1. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I'm selling my 27" iMac through a local paper. A prospective buyer asked me to send the computer's serial number. I assume it's so he/she can confirm it's still covered under Applecare.

Are there any nefarious reasons someone might want to see the serial number?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You will be fine sending the serial. Nothing they can do with it expect maybe try to register to their Apple ID. They probably want to check warranty? or they may have had a iMac stolen and there fishing for it. I sell a lot on CL and never post serial number - I generally don't give it out until they meet me in person. But if they push hard for it - I have given it out.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Register it to your Apple ID before you give the serial number out, so no one else can. Remove when you sell it. Otherwise there are plenty of legitimate reasons a buyer would want a serial number.

4. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Hmm... At present it isn't registered at all; it's waiting for someone to input their Apple ID. He/she could indeed register it under their own ID and say it was stolen. At the least make trouble for me. I don't think I'll be sending him/her my serial #.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Even if they did register that doesn't mean much. Did they request this through email/text or phone conversation. I would look to talk with them an explain why you prefer not to give out the serial until you meed in person. Also phone conversations help get a feel for the people.

You can register quickly here and also unregister from here.

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth...URL=https://supportprofile.apple.com/homePage

6. sharon22 macrumors regular

Actually, I would *definitely* ask for a serial number if I am buying something expensive. I would want to check it against the database of stolen computers!

If you go and register it, I cannot see *any* reason why you shouldn't provide the serial number to the buyer, as long as you make sure to register it to yourself, first.

My hunch? This is the first computer they ever bought, and, a friend of a friend of a friend probably said, "hey be sure to ask for the serial number..."

Either that, or it's someone that's been burned before, by purchasing stolen merchandise.

Register it, then provide it! No worries!

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Registering it means nothing - I can call apple and they will register the computer to me - thus unregistering from current owner. It really means nothing...

I buy and sell Macs - I am telling you it really means nothing.

8. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Thanks. I sent him/her a text stating such and that I would do it if they were a serious buyer. Haven't heard back yet.

----------

Oops, didn't see your replies. We've been conversing via text. So, they couldn't register it and claim it's theirs? That I stole it?

9. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

How about if I offer to send a screen shot of the computer's coverage from my Apple account? I can cover the last three digits of the serial number. My name is listed in the upper right corner of the screen.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

What I am saying is - being the register owner doesn't mean much. As long as you got proof of purchase that is what is important.

----------

That would work if they want to check warranty.

11. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Registration doesn't prove ownership. You have a receipt for the computer, surely? That's your proof of ownership.

12. AllergyDoc thread starter macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Sure do. And the Applecare registration.

13. sharon22 macrumors regular

I didn't know that. How about all the people with other Apple products -- phones, etc.? There's gotta be some two-factor authentication, etc., that Apple implements? Right? Wrong? What you said is scary! :eek: